I AM LOOKING FOR ANY INFO ON UNIT 35A FOR THE EARLY SEASON RIFLE HUNT, I HUNTED THERE FOR THE FIRST TIME LAST YEAR AND HUNTED NEAR PARKER CANYON LAKE, IT WAS ALSO MY FIRST TIME HUNTING COUES DEER, I PUT IN FOR THIS UNIT THIS YEAR AND ANY INFO WILL HELP THANKS KEITH

My advice would be get a pair of good glasses, a tripod and get out as much a possible. Personally I scour the topo maps for large roadless tracts of land and walk in. I have yet to be dissappointed. Get about a mile and a half away from the roads and you will probably not see any people. Get out as often as you can between now and then. The bucks are sprouting antlers again. Post this question on the monstermuleys.com coues forum message board. Randy Weaver might reply. He did quite a bit of hunting in that area and has since moved away. Als look at the following link to the AZ game and fish websight

http://www.gf.state.az.us/h_f/hunting_unit...its_35a.html#wt

THANKS FOR THE INFO, THE AZGFD INFO IS WHERE I STARTED LAST YEAR, I SCOUTED A COUPLE OF TIMES BEFORE THE HUNT, WE SEEN A COUPLE OF NICE BUCKS THAT WERE AT 600+ YARDS, I FLUSHED A COVEY OF MEARNS QUAIL ON MY STALK AND HE WAS GONE, WE SEEN MORE MULE DEER THAN COUES, I WAS WONDERING IF I SHOULD LEAVE THE AREAS WHERE MULE DEER ARE SPOTTED, I PLAN ON SCOUTING AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE INCLUDING HUNTING THE EARLY ARCHERY HUNT, THANKS AGAIN

Speaking of good optics I finally broke down. I ordered some Leica 8x42 New Generation binos. Will it be worth it? My 49 yr old eyes and love of the outdoors tell me YES. Can't wait to use them this year on my 34A Oct WT hunt ! My son lives in Tucson and I in Albuquerque. Maybe he'll inherit those binos one day or my grandsons.

BigBear

KGAINES: three years ago I was drawn for 23 and didnt have anywhere to get reliable info other than the general crap so I used Duwane Adams map service. Basically for 250.00 he copied a forest service map for a couple of good areas he has seen bucks and wrote down access directions. I used the service again last year in a southern unit. I figured I would spend more in gas money searching the unit than what Duwane could provide. It was money very well spent in that I didnt have alot of time to take off work for scouting, so the time I spent scouting was where deer were in the unit. I learned alot from calling him etc... and of course broke down and bought good glass two years ago and have never been sorry I did..............Allen..........

Guest Diablo

KGAINES,

Don't avoid the areas that hold mule deer. Coues deer can and will be in the same areas. I have seen, and taken a bedded coues buck from the middle of a bedded herd of muleys.

The areas from the west gate of Ft Huachuca to Hwy 83 , then towards parker canyon lake hold a large number of mule deer as do the canelo hills.

They travel a lot more than coues do so they aren't a real problem, except in the identification of the smaller ones and while they are in the thick stuff, then you need to be real clear on which deer they may be.

There are so many roads and two tracks in 35a now that it is pretty accessible for just about any vehicle. The only way to avoid all the people is to hunt up high on the peaks or to hit the thickest stuff there is.

Brushy canyon, lone mountain, copper canyon even Sunnyside canyon are good places. The parker canyon areas and the areas of the mountains closer to the monument road are good as well. Try the canelo hills and the areas around the black oak cemetery too.

Do not over look the rolling hills and flats of the west gate area or the research ranch area. Though mule deer are plentiful here so are coues.

Try the thick oaks areas and also the big flats near the border, these areas hold coues as well. This area is a bit difficult to hunt alone but can be productive. I have seen and taken some nice ones from this area. between lone mountain and mud springs and the copperglance mine area as well.

If you like to climb, then get high and bring at a min 10x 50's and glass the areas where the sun hits first and the openings in the trees and brush. Windy days in the Huachuca's the deer are in the draws and pockets out of the wind if it is a cold wind they will be in the sun no matter what.

Sunrise to around 930-10 you will so them out and about sometimes later. Don't quit after that time, you can continue to hunt them by glassing the bedded ones or by still hunting the draws and rolling hills and thickets. Careful glassing and slow still hunting works in your favor. In the deeper draws and thick canyons try tossing rocks, this can move the deer to an opening that you not otherwise see.

If you want to try something different wait until after opening week end and try the mustang mountains in rain valley. There is a small population of coues there . Some nice bucks can be found there. The areas to start are about 1/3 of the way up and to the top. Try both sides of this range . You can hunt this rather well glassing as well as still hunting.

Get some mabs from bookmans or somewhere and find these areas and take a look. When you go out mark the water holes that you come across. In a lot of these areas especially after the monsoons water is pretty much everywhere so that can be miss or hit on which ones the deer will hit. Try the more secluded seeps and springs that are prvelent here.

Hope I have helped a bit. Just be patient and hunt slow and you should be alright.

You can email me dstone53@hotmail.com if you have any questions or need futher info.

enjoy your hunt

DS

THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO. , WE WALKED CLOSE TO 15 MILES EACH DAY LAST YEAR ON THE FIRST TWO DAYS OF OUR HUNT, WE WERE AROUND SUNNYSIDE CANYON, I PLAN TO WALK A LOT LESS THIS YEAR AND GLASS A LOT MORE, I HAVE ALREADY STARTED SCOUTING, AND WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MY HUNT, NOW I HAVE A LOT MORE LOCATIONS TO CHECK OUT, AGAIN THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO....KEITH

Guest Diablo

If you are going that far , that fast you are just hiking with weapons. You need to slow way down. Glass a lot more and still hunt. If you go more than a 1/4 mile in a 1/2 hour you are still going too fast.

You need to really look at the ground you are covering. Look for bits and peices of deer, not whole bodies. Slow down, look to see not see to look.

Like I said you can email me any time.

Good luck

I SCOUTED THE CANELO HILLS AREA LAST WEEKEND, WE SEEN THREE BUCKS NEAR HWY 83, WE SEEN DEER ALL DAY, MULIES AND WHITETAILS, WE ALSO SEEN ONE HUGE ANTELOPE BUCK, NO OTHER ANTELOPE WERE AROUND, THIS WAS BACK IN THE CANELO HILLS IN AN OPEN MEADOW, I WILL TRY TO SCOUT THE RESEARCH RANCH AREA IN THE NEXT FEW WEEKS, AGAIN THANKS FOR THE INFO