Red Rabbit

Factory or Handloaded Ammo?

I used to do alot of loading with my brothers, I am sold on it but........time has become a serious issue these days and I have used factory over the last couple of years.

My 22-250 load was 35 grains of 4064 behind a hornady 60 grain spire point......used it for varmints and deer for years....my 270, I struggled with it a couple of years ago when I was getting ready for elk season....never was really happy with it so I am relying on Remington 150 Corelokt for this coming Friday morning.......I have shot it enough I am sure it will do it's job if I do mine.....man I can't wait for Friday morning....

Coues rifles like handloads.

I used a 6.5x284 for antelope, bear and coues this year.

140 SST, h4831, cci br2, lapua brass 3100 fps. Cooper rifle (incredible factory gun). 490 yds on the coues, 200+/- on the goat, 258 on the bear.

Awesome on goat and deer, bullet failed miserably on the bear. I will not hunt bears with anything that does not have at least a 30 caliber bullet from now on. Looking for a wounded bear in oak thickets at 1:30 AM is NOT my idea of a big time (19 incher). Placement was right, bullet just fragged on impact.

Working up loads for .338 win and .300 wby for february oryx. 210 nosler partitions in the 338, gonna try mrx in the wby. Any suggestions here would be appreciated. Was using the 300 with 165 sciroccos for deer but my partner calls them nuclear warheads because of the damage. I want something a little tougher for oryx.

I hate to admit this, but I have stopped handloading my '06's. I get fantastic accuracy out of the Hornady light magnums. My wifemate shoots a tikka 300wsm and the winchester factory accubond loads shoot into an inch pretty regularly.

My dad bought me a 30.06 Reminton 700 ADL 25 years ago and that rifle has never seen a factory load. My oldest brother introduced me to reloading and i've been sold ever since.

150 gr Sierra boattail Game king

56.0 grains on IMR 4350

Muzzle velocity 2756 fps

My first three Coues were taken with a Browning chambered for .25-06. That rifle likes the 117 grain Sierra Gameking in the Federal Premium loading.

My most recent buck was taken with a Remington 700 chambered for .280 Remington. I used the Federal Premium load with a 140 grain Nosler solid base @ 3030 fps.

280REM