Red Rabbit

Factory or Handloaded Ammo?

I have always used handloads in the rifles taken coues hunting.

In 270Win, it was a 130&140 Ballistic Tip.

In 280Rem, it was a 150 Ballistic Tip.

In 7RemMag, it was a 150 Ballistic tip and 140 Partition.

In 260Rem, it was a 129 SST.

In 300WSM, it was a 150TSX and 180Accubond.

This year in a 6.5WSM, it is a 130 Scirocco.

I have always gotten better accuracy with handloads, although I still try lots of factory ammo for grins. With handloads, one can choose the bullet one wants to use. I enjoy experimenting and the search for that optimal handload, even when I have one or a few already.

Doug~RR

I always use hand loads. My neighbor has all the equipment and know-how so I am very fortunate. I go over will all the supplies and load at his house.

This year, I used 130 grain Hornady SST bullets and let me tell you, that bullet really does some damage and is very impressive. We load for the "accuracy load" for my Winchester .270 according to some book he has. It calls for 55.5 grains of powder. I love the accuracy I get out of them!! It's the same load I have used for like 15 years.

Amanda

After having a basic understanding of how to reload, Doug (redrabbit) tought me the finer aspects of handloading. Now, I do not shoot factory loads out of any of my main hunting rifles (just my back up 270, I couldnt approve on its accuracy if I tried).

With my 270WSM i push a 140 Accubond at 3150 fps with 63.5 grains of H4831sc.

My dads 7RUM pushes a 140 accubond with 86.5 grains of H4831sc. We get 1/2" or better accuracy with each of these loads and they have both laid the smack down on some coues, and will hopefully do so to some nice bucks this coming December!

I haven't been prevy to the fine art of handloading,but have found that my pawnshop bought 7mm(win.model70)loves the hornaday 139 grain boattail soft point.This year 264 one shot --entry bedded back of shoulder through liver into back hip bone,which we found boneing him but somehow fell out of my pocket during hike :( .Last year 385 yards into center of chest through heart out lower chest cavity.Last year in utah--409 yards two clean pass throughs out of three shots.Devistateing round in my opinion.Store bought.

300 Rem. Ultra Mag. I shoot the 180gr. Scirocco. Factory loads, I cant improve on the accuracy. Also have handloaded 125gr sierras with 96.5 grains of VV N165 pushing 4000fps. Accurate as heck but I prefer using the 180 Sciroccos for everything.

I just think it's funner to shoot my own handloads, I think It would be a lot cheaper when you add in what your time is worth to buy factory loads, but every guy needs a bunch of hobby's.

6.5x55 swedish mauser 40 grains AA 2520, 120 grain Nosler ballistic tip.

257 Roberts 46 grains IMR 4831, 115 grain Nosler Ballistic tip, 117 grain Hornady Interlocks, 100 grain Partition's, this gun just loves to shoot.

7MM-08 40 grains AA 2520, 120 grain Ballistic tips, 39 grains AA2520, 140 grain Ballistic tips or 139 Grain SST's

7MM rem. Mag 68 grains IMR 4831 140 grain Nosler Ballistic tips or 139 SST's. The Ballistic tips seem to shoot better. 120 grain Ballistic tips with the same load shoot awesome in my Ruger Number 1, but these are pretty hot loads.

I like to use my Fathers manuals from the 60's and 70's, back before the "McDonalds hot coffee" and other frivolous law suits were filed. Take that statement for what you can read into it.

I like the Nosler Ballistic tips...... a lot. They shoot great, do a lot of damage and still hold together in a coues deer, and punch holes through coyotes with minimal pelt damage but most times pile on impact. Another plus when shooting at the range with the wife and kids is that every caliber has a different color tip, 257 roberst, 25 caliber blue, my wifes. 6.5x55 or .264 brown, my sons. 7mm or .284 red , mine and my daughters. A little extra safety.

All hand loads for me to.

Remington 721 loves IMR 4350 and 140gr Accubonds. Also 130gr Ballistic tips shoot well with 4350. And my sons 243 shoots 100gr Sierra's very well.

I just enjoy sitting in my room and loading hand loads to get my old "semi" factory rifle to drive tacks and lay the smack down on something.Witch laying the smack down seems to be the hard part lately! ;)

No factory loads have tainted any of my rifles or shotguns since I bought a Lyman tong tool in 1957. What I load with depends on which rifle I use and what size game I go after. I experiment until I find the load best for each rifle. Nearly everything I've shot in the past twenty years has been with Nosler Partitions, but I did shoot my desert sheep with a Nosler Ballistic Tip.

Bill Quimby

A friend of mine does all my reloading for me but I am shooting a 300RUM 100 grains Hodgdon Retumbo and 180 grain Accubonds. With this load I can shoot a 1/2" group. I ordered a new barrel the other day and it is going to be two inches longer and I am going to switch to the 185 grain Berger so we will see...

I also have a 6.5 Lapua which he loads for me 36 grains N-540 and 120 grain Berger. I took it out the other day and shot this group with it. I was pretty happy :rolleyes:

11070716421.jpg

Just an FYI...

I have been emailing back and forth with Walt Berger of Berger bullets and I told him I was trying to get a 175 grain load to shoot well in my .300 win mag for coues deer and he pretty much said I would be MUCH better off with the 155 grain bullets because I will get better bullet performance. Then I asked him if the 175 would be a better choice for elk.... His answer.. "No".

take care.

jason

You are happy with that? I mean it is clear to me that the bullet isnt stabilzing and is making ragged crooked holes :D

Oh is that the problem?...You are a geuniss..cuz I thought i was yankin on the trigger or something but apparently its the bullets fault...thanks for all your help ;)

If you wish to PM me, I will make you a fair offer on that inaccurate gun. :D

Aawww shucks...you would really do that for me?