Sign in to follow this  
no worries

Sako 75 optic mounting options

Any recommendations on what bases/ rings to use on a Sako 75 with dovetails?

I'd really like to mount a rail but the ones I've found are not a true one piece. The rail uses 2 bases underneath it to mount.

I know Sako optilocks now have a one piece ring mount as well as the older 2 piece style. Leupold makes a one piece ring mount.

Has anyone milled and tapped the receiver to accept a more common rail? Thought I read that the hardened steel in the receiver was difficult to tap.

Anyone have opinions on these or other brands??

Thanks Jim

I have drilled and re-tapped a few Remingtons from 6-48 to 8-40. The action steel is hard and difficult to tap. I have broke a tap every time. I do use carbon steel taps that are not as strong as other types but are much easier to drill out when they break.

call Eurooptic i think they have a rail to go on your factory dovetail set up. On my sako 85 I use the sako optilock rings and they work great. I used a .020 shim under the base to ring and got moa adjustment back.

the optilock to dove tail is very similar to the talley rings on my rem 700 but easier for scope removal and installation.

Thx guys.

I'll recheck with eurpoptics but I think they only sell a rail ( Contessa brand) that has two bases you mount before attaching the rail.