Sign in to follow this  
TwoGuns

303 savage

My wifes 86 year old grandfather is looking for some ammunition for his old 303 savage and I am trying to find him some rounds for Christmas. I found some 303 British, but dont know if they are the same. IF they are not the same, where can I find the 303 savage? thanks.

My wifes 86 year old grandfather is looking for some ammunition for his old 303 savage and I am trying to find him some rounds for Christmas. I found some 303 British, but dont know if they are the same. IF they are not the same, where can I find the 303 savage? thanks.

The .303 Savage is NOT the same as the .303 British. The Savage round is similar to the .30-30. The .303 British is a military caliber closer ballistically to .30-06.

I have no idea where you might buy ammo. A lever action Savage Model 99 in .303 Savage was my first centerfire rifle and I shot my first deer with it when I was 12 years old in 1947. Back when you still could buy ammo just about everywhere, I saved up 40 cases and reloaded them over and over with a Lyman nutcracker-like tong tool until I retired the rifle when I bought a .270. I still have the rifle, the tong tool, and those 40 cases. I haven't shot the gun in 30 years, but when I came across two boxes of old factory ammo in the original boxes at an antique fair in Phoenix a couple of years ago, I bought them. (They're not for sale.)

If you find some brass I'd be happy to load it for you.

Bill Quimby

the .303 british is also a little bigger than .30 caliber. i think it's like .311. seems like with a little work you can resize a .30/30 to where it will work. i have several old .303 sav. loaded rounds at the house. my uncle jammed one in his .30/30 and shot it once, on a bet. it didn't kill him. i'm sure someone still makes brass for it. seems like it is still a somewhat popular european cartridge, like the .22 savage hi-power. the rimmed cartridges work real well in the double rifles that are still used there with some regularity. it will have a metric designation on it tho. Lark.

After reading my Guns and Shooting Online article about the .303 Savage (in which I wrote that factory loaded ammunition in the caliber was no longer available), Clint Huisinga of Stars and Stripes Custom Ammunition wrote to me and pointed out that Stars and Stripes offers brand new .303 Savage factory loads. In fact, Stars and Stripes offers factory loads in many obsolete calibers.

Stars and Stripes ammunition is manufactured in the U.S.A. Their street address is 2303 West McNab Road, Suite 4, Pampano Beach, FL 33069 (Telephone: 954-917-1129).

I found the above info on a web search--appears the number above has your ammo.

I knew all I had to do was ask. Thanks for your help, I will let you know if I end up with some ammo in my hands.

darren