Sign in to follow this  
donniedent

Tips and Secrets for Non-Resident Hunters.

I know that some of the Arizona "locals" can be a little tight-lipped about good spots to hunt in this fine state so I've decided to spill the beans!

Mule Deer- Mule deer are found state wide but most hunters want that coveted Arizona strip tag. If you happen to draw a strip tag get away from the crowds and HUNT EAST! As you are heading north out of Flagstaff make a right where you see the sign for Tuba City. Take that road about 50 miles East Northeast and you'll come to a place called Black Mesa. Park anywhere you see a huge version a mud pie with a satilite dish on top and a brand new Chevy truck parked outside. The locals are used to seeing hunters so don't bother stopping in and saying high. They won't mind.

Coues Whitetails- 2B, 2B, 2B.... No place better to find the Grey Ghost! Great for spot and stalk... nice and open.

Elk- There are some real giants in this state but if you want a really big bull... head for Winslow. There is a hunt in 5A just north of Winslow not even the locals know anything about. You'll think you've stumbled onto the Yellowstone herd. There is a Motel 6 north of I-40. Get a room there and you won't even need your truck.... just start walking north.

Antelope- Don't even put in for them, there are 4 left in the state and they never score over 25 inches.

Javalina- Anywhere in North Scottsdale.

Mountain Lion- Sabino Canyon, look for anyone eating a granola bar and tell them "I want to kill a cat!!!!!"

Fishing

There is only one good lake to fish in Arizona..... Horseshoe Lake. Yep I said it locals... I SPLLED the beans. There is no limit on this lake for anything you catch! If you catch a Razorback Sucker or a Colorado Pikeminnow KEEP THEM!

Take them in to Arizona Game and Fish for weighing and then ring the dinner bell baby.... excellent tablefare!

Remeber hunters..... Be safe and always keep a sense of humor!!!

That does it man I am going to stop hunting now you gave away all my best spots. Im gone Im done I am out of here. Thanks for the info.

Now there are going to be so many elk hunters north of Winslow, that the duck hunting on the LCR will be sorry. See what you've gone and done :unsure: ?

You forgot about another good area in Arizona for elk. 12A is now the trophy unit for big bulls. About ten years ago elk were no where to be seen. Lately the deer in 12A have really struggled, but the big bulls seem to be everywhere. Your chances of getting drawn are better than any trophy unit. Two 400+ bulls were taken out of there this year.

I thought everybody knew 2B held plenty of trophy class coues whitetail.

In Arizona, the game and fish has made "limited opportunity hunts." The "limited opportunity" (archery only) elk hunts are PRIMO. As said earlier those Winslow hunts are like no other. You won't even have to get a guide or even scout, it's just that good. I'm glad Arizona Game and Fish made another trophy hunt for non-residents, with the "limited opportunity" Verde Valley hunt in 6A, 19A and 21. It gives non-residents a very good chance at trophy class bulls.

Quick update on the "secrets" list!

Desert Bighorns- Silver Bell Mtn area, stop in and see the local rancher for info. Tell him you want a shot at ole' pink eye!!!

I saw 2 coues bucks in 2B 6 weeks ago or so, one 80-85 incher and a 70-75 inch deer. I spent 30-35 days or so this Summer and Fall behind glass in that unit and that's the only coues I saw, but I am sure there are several more around that I didn't see.

Bret M.