Sign in to follow this  
IHunt2live

3 day quail hunt

This past weekend I had a freind, his dad and two of his brother come down from Utah to Quail hunt. They come down most every year exept for last year because the quail hunting was not all that good. We spent two days hunting over near Wilcox and on the last day we went down south for some mearns. Between them, another friend I hunt with down here and my two dogs we had 12 dogs. We needed that many dogs in order not to kill them. :)

The first day we got into mostly gambels with a few scallies. I'm not sure how many birds we ended up with but between the 6 of us we probable had 50+. My Geman shorthair finally starting showing some progress and had a couple of awesome points.

The second day had a ruff start. We got to the area we were going to hunt and saw a covey of quail right by the trucks. We got the dogs out and got about 6 quail in just a few minutes then the excident happened. A quail got up between The father from Utah and one of his sons and the son was mistaken were his dad was and the dad got shot. He was about 30 yards away when he got shot and ended up with 30+ pelats from his hip, ups his right arm to his head and neck. One of the other guys we were hunting with went through the same thing about 10 years ago so he calmed him down and knew what to do. He went to the clinic in Wilcox who sent him on to Tucson. Those doctors in either place hardly did anything for him so he basicly just walked out. Four of us continued hunting the rest of that day and we got into a TON of scallies. My shorthair once agian did great. I think lightbulb went off in his head finnaly.

The third day we ment the dad who got shot and his sone who went with him to Tucson, down south for some mearns. Boy did we get into some mearns. They were headed back that evening and they had some car problem so we only hunted mearns for three hours but that was enough. We got seperated into two groups. One group went high and ended up with 11 mearns between the three of us and the other 3 went low and had one shy of their limit.

Anyway we had a great time dispite some excitment and everyone had a great time.... most of the time.

I widh I would have taken more pics but with the fast pace of quail hunting I didn't take much.

post-1770-1198693239_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Sorry but I realy don't have any others pics worthy from that trip. My brother and I took a half day trip yesterday and ended up with 20 birds. Heres my two dogs and my brothers dog in the middle.

post-1770-1199225930_thumb.jpg

sweet pics and a great looking group of pups for sure!! I can't wait to get back down and chase those mearns..

I've been known to give 'em heck a "few" times each season!!!