Sign in to follow this  
KaibabHunter

Tire change Improve towing?

Glad the question was productive with some jokes mixed in. Ive taken note of all the things thrown out there and will look into. Ill get regearing priced but not sure thats gonna be possible $ wise right away. Also looking at lighter weight tire options in the mean time. I have the Toyo ATs and like them so will likely stick with what they offer. Not sure I like the idea of the look of a 33ish tire on my setup but will consider.

I had two customers with the same trucks both were eco boost ford f-150 2012 they were the same color and both fx2 2wd, same rear diff gears.one had 33 toyos and the other was stock tires and wheels. the one with 33 toyos got 12.5 mpg and the stock one got 19 mpg. They were both 6r80 transmissions and performed well one just couldnt pass the gas station. the big tires made it like it was towing all the time.

So I called Toyo directly to see what advice they could give. One of the first questions asked by the was what psi I was running my current tires. I told her and she did some math and stated I was running too high psi for what my axels are load rated for. She gave me the proper psi based on my veh specs. Ill admit she was getting above my pay grade on the explanation... She admitted that it might not effect towing but my numbers were definitely off. And she gave a couple alternatives for slightly lighter/narrower tires but not lots of options because my rims are 9.5 wide.

• Like 1