Sign in to follow this  
KaibabHunter

Tire change Improve towing?

4 speed trans will always be inbetween gears. oversize tires and they are probably twice the weight of the factory tires and wheels adding to rotating mass. If the transmission overheated it is being overworked due to load from tires size and weight. I was a transmission guy at the dealer when that truck came out and I had to warranty those transmissions after they were burned up due to this story. When you add tires that large it is like taking a cheater bar on the end of the ratchet to increase the torque to loosen the fastener. they are working your transmission against engine and its going to lose.

I think I'd probably check to see what gears are in the diffs. these trucks can have 3.25 to 4.10 gears that alone with the bigger tires can make a huge difference. Also some programmers will let will let you change the tire dia which will change transmission strategy in the computer. These motors are factory tuned for emissions 1st which leaves horse power and mileage on the table for a legitimate tuner. There probably is a combination of things that you could do to help the towing performance for reasonable $$.

• Like 1

It's gearing. You're killing it with those 35s. If it won't look too funny can you go to some 285s or some 265s on some 17s? I bet a 5 star towing tune would help alot. You're probably running 3.55s, if you were to keep the same size tires I would be running 4.56 gears.

I looked for a while to find my excursion w/ 4.30s. Tows good for a gasser.

Lettuce be real. The problem is it's a Ford

At least the door's will still open and the A/C will still work. GM stands for got money? Cuz it gonna cost you some money to keep all the doors and windows working properly in a Chevy.

• Like 1

Lettuce be real. The problem is it's a Ford

At least the door's will still open and the A/C will still work. GM stands for got money? Cuz it gonna cost you some money to keep all the doors and windows working properly in a Chevy.

windows and ac go out on everything. Nothing is colder than a gm air conditioner

I have two gm vehicles and two ford vehicles and only one of them have any issues, and it just so happens to be one of the Fords. My little Chevy work car has been bullet proof. I'm just trolling.

Pm me your VIN, and I’ll tell you what gears you have, 5.4 3v isn’t exactly a powerhouse, adding lift and 35s and towing up hill is your problem, gearing will help fix that, but mpg will suffer. What rpm around you at cruising at 65 mph?

I guess to be fair mine is a 4dr 2010 5.4 with. 6speed 3.55 gears. but I do t have any heat issues. I feels like I could do 80 towing if I wanted to.

You cant compared your 6R80 6 speed, to his 4R70 4 speed....

Your truck is just tired is all. Bigger tires only hurt. Larger rotating mass only hurts when you get started and to stop.

I had a 2002 F150 reg cab stepside. Only options were 4x4, a/c, 5.4, automatic transmission. It had 250,000 miles. It even had rubber floors, steel wheels, rollup windows....you get the idea. It was the perfect hunting truck. It was a fast truck as long as you did not tow ANYTHING or put anything in the bed.