Sign in to follow this  
azcouesandelk

Hunting Partner

When I used to pack in hunt we would pack in afew weeks before the hunt just to carry in water jugs, canned chili's, tuna, sardines, instant breakfast, oatmeal, hot chocolate, grills and pans.. we would hunt up there for ten days strait so it was kinda hard to make only one trip up. That was also back in the day when you could buy a additional deer tag and wack a small buck for camp meat to :P

Trick we used to do to the guys we hunted was stick a 6 or 12 pack of soda in there pack when they we not looking and wait to tell them intel we hit the camp site .

Thanks Matt! I really appreciate you taking the time and writing that up. Thanks for the info! We are probably going to do trips through out the year and drop off gear at the camp site.

Dough (AZ P&Y) has extensive packing experience. Did I miss anything Doug?

Matt- all outstanding information. Here is a thread that got started from last April regarding some lightweight backpacking info from our fellow CWT members...

http://forums.coueswhitetail.com/forums/in...ght+backpacking

Everything from A-Z needs to be evaluated (knowing EXACTLY - how much something weighs)! A trial run is the best place to find out if a piece of equipment works. If not sell it on ebay and buy (or save) for what works and is useful.

Water being the most important item, here is a list of water sources along the Arizona Trail that runs straight through Hunt Area 33. Fred Gaudet published this and did an analysis (seasonal water) of waters sources from 2000-2006. It also shows water sources along the 800 miles of trail that goes from Mexico to the Utah border.

http://www.fredgaudetphotography.com/aztrail/water2006.pdf

Hope to see some more pictures of the 'ultra-light camps' this summer & count me in on unit 33!

AzP&Y

Doug

post-898-1200100994_thumb.jpg

post-898-1200101127_thumb.jpg

Id be too worried to pack supplies in early and leave them in any of the units down here, with all the illegals and smuggling, what have you. It just seems too risky for me, course I always expect the worse. youd be surprised how remote ive been and come across groups of "entrants". its a real shame the damage they do and their ignorance.