Sign in to follow this  
tjhunt2

JAVELINA FEVER

I know this is a coues site but what better way to get those youngsters excited about coues than getting them up and personal with those pigs running by at close range. I have had the pig fever since my first archery hunt when I shot all my arrows and then climbed up on a rock, with my bow by one end, to protect myself from any charging maneaters. :P That was back in 1972 and 4 years later I decided it had to be done with a 7mm magnum in 1976. I've learned alot over the years and they are my favorite thing to hunt. What I'm getting at is, pig hunting is alot like fishing. If the fish aren't biting then those youngster loose interest really quick but what happens when them fish start to bite? :o Look how excited those little ones get and from then on they're hooked. The same goes for chasing those crazy little pigs. I've been hooked ever since and I'm sure your son or daughter will to. TAKE a KID pig hunting and help them with getting a journal started for the later years when they start to forget. How many times have you wished you would have had a journal of all your hunts from the start of your outings as a youngster? That's what I'm getting at. Pigs or small game, get'em started and they to might be the next great Coues Hunter.

This 08 pig was special. It was dedicated to my Dad who had to give up bow hunting this year at the age of 79.

TJ

post-1903-1200235176_thumb.jpg

Congrats Tom,

You Da Man ;)

How about sharing Teds first Javi as well.

Mike

Ted bought his bow at the end of Nov and this is his first ever bow kill. It was pretty exciting after finding the pig in a cave. It would charge everytime we approached and he missed his first two shots at 5 yards. After killing the pig we then had the fun of trying to get him out of there. Ted Bounds had been a cowboy for years working cattle on several ranches and ask me how we were going to get the pig out. With a rope and a very longgggggggg tree branch I told Ted this wasn't my first Javelina Rodeo. Here are results.

TJ

post-1903-1200239257_thumb.jpg

Thanks tj for your post and pics.

I too love chasing them piglets around. My three girls have the rifle tags coming up soon. Hopefully we will be

sharing some pics next month.

Congrats TJ and Ted, great looking pigs! This year's Javi hunt is my first hunt ever, and even at 27 years old, being out there with my dad teaching me makes me feel like a kid again. My daughter is 16 months old, so I've got some time to figure out how to find and hunt these desert ghosts before I'll need to teach her. It's a good thing too... 3 days and many foot blistering miles into this hunt and I'm realizing it's going to take many seasons to earn my stripes and get good at this!

John

Congrats TJ and Ted, great looking pigs! This year's Javi hunt is my first hunt ever, and even at 27 years old, being out there with my dad teaching me makes me feel like a kid again. My daughter is 16 months old, so I've got some time to figure out how to find and hunt these desert ghosts before I'll need to teach her. It's a good thing too... 3 days and many foot blistering miles into this hunt and I'm realizing it's going to take many seasons to earn my stripes and get good at this!

John

Thanks John, it took me 4 years to harvest my first so stick with it and glass more than walk. Good luck on your hunt.

TJ

Your right TJ

Javi and fish are the same.

They both STINK :P

You never did answer my question.

How many javelinas have you taken now?

Your right TJ

Javi and fish are the same.

They both STINK :P

You never did answer my question.

How many javelinas have you taken now?

STINK? ;) You might be right Mike, but they both are the best eatin critters of all. My wife and neighbors fight over the sausage. This pig made 30 out of the last 33 yrs. First one came down with a 7mm magnum, 28 archery, and this year a crossbow due to the bad shoulder.

Thank You.

You are the KING PIG :o

I mean PIG KING :P

That has to be a state record ;)

Kind of worried about your math skills though! :(

Mike

:blink: Never made it far enough in school. Thanks Mike, it's worse than my spelleng. :unsure: My Bad! Will edit!

TJ

Thank You.

You are the KING PIG :o

I mean PIG KING :P

That has to be a state record ;)

Kind of worried about your math skills though! :(

Mike

:blink: Never made it far enough in school. Thanks Mike, it's worse than my spelleng. :unsure: My Bad! Will edit!

TJ

SOOOWEEE

Do I hear Banjos

... That has to be a state record ;) ... :( Mike

Don't know for sure, but I may have taken 45-46, more or less, with rifles, bows, and muzzleloaders. I shot one every year but one or two from 1949 to about 1988 or 1989 when it became too much trouble to dig the pit for the barbecue and I couldn't find anyone to give them to. I relented maybe 7-8 times after that.

I thought my javelina hunting was over but I recently found someone who wants the meat, so I applied for and drew a tag for a HAM hunt in February. Haven't decided which HAM tool to use. I may try a handgun. Pistols, spears and rocks (sounds like a song for Cher) are the only things I haven't used to hunt them.

IMHO javelilnas are inedible unless cooked in a pit for 24 hours. I haven't tried them in sausage. Do you have a recipe?

Bill Quimby

BILL-

The recipe is Denmark meats. Chorizo,pepper sticks and polish dogs.

Try it and I think you will change your mind for sure.