Sign in to follow this  
Hoss50

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

5 hours ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

After watching my son and wife train the past 8-9 months (and dropping 45#) i have started training as well. I usually run 6-8 miles, and am in decent shape for my size. After rolling with dudes close to my size, I was exhausted, and sore the days following.

Cant wait to go back next week!

maxresdefault.jpg

I trained for awhile and was on my way to blue belt. Went to a tournament and dislocated my shoulder in the championship match. I was worried I wouldn't be able to pull a bow for hunting season, but healed up and came back to training. I do really like bjj and would really enjoy training again, but ended up making a hard decision to focus more exclusively on hunting as its my first passion. I had to be real with myself that if I kept training I'd probably eventually have an injury that would keep me off the mountain or maybe contribute to cutting hunting years on the backend ( was proving to be a little injury prone :(). I'd recommend anyone considering it to train bjj and train hard and smart. Its really fun, and for someone needing to increase fitness levels but doesn't enjoy traditional training methods, its a fantastic option. Classes just fly by but can be a very intense workout. I just made a decision to put all my focus and funds into one thing. I'll probably come back to bjj in time though.

• Like 2

Today was a good day. The processor finished my elk, and I earned my blue belt in BJJ.

20191116_143348.jpg

20191116_143305.jpg

• Like 3

5-6 years of being complete MMA and Krav Maga obsessed.  like 5-6 days a week 2-3 hours per day obsessed and lifting at lunch time.  I wrestled through high school but like Edge commented I liked stand up a lot more the last couple of years.  But they just opened a bjj center near my house I want to check out. 

Problem is I travel so much I usually can’t even get through my lifting rotation in a given week so we will see if I can figure something out. 

I've been doing the BJJ/MMA thing for about 12 years now.  Gi and no gi. I'm only 28 years old, but the injuries from the years of competing hard are starting to catch up.  I think it's very possible to stay safe if you're rolling smart and not looking to compete.  When you try to compete you have to push yourself over the edge and the injuries begin to become more prevalent in both training and competition.  Your body just doesn't have the time to heal.  I can't recommend the sport enough to just about everyone as long as you can leave your ego at the door and stay within your abilities/fitness level.  

While I think it's a great workout for your overall cardio, flexibility, and practical strength, it is a very different type of conditioning than what you would want if you're looking to get in shape for hunting.  Stick with muay thai if you're looking for a workout that's going to translate best to the mountain.  Just make sure you've got some quality shin pads and you stay within your means on sparring days with trusted partners.  There's no use in taking unnecessary damage to the brain if you're not going to get in the ring.

I personally only do no-gi right now. Knock on wood I have not had any major bjj related injuries. I have aggravated old football injuries, but not caused anything new. 

I trust most of the guys in my gym, and I am a giant so it helps keep me out of bad positions for damage from newer guys. They will come I am sure, but I keep the ego checked at the door and do my best to not damage others in hopes they will do the same. Muay Thai isn't going to be on my list of things to do. No strikes for me, football gave me plenty of blows to the head to go around. 

• Like 1

Been thinking/wanting to take up BJJ. Anybody have any good recommendations on gyms in the Chandler/Gilbert/SE valley area?