Sign in to follow this  
fatbastard

.45 Raptor. Make Your AR-10 A Big Bore

THIS ITEM IS NOT CURRENTLY FOR SALE.  (see my last post)

I have had this kit for about a year and a half and just can't get excited about finishing it. I already have big bore AR-15's and the only practical use I can see for my AR-10 is hunting and I would like more range from it soooo, lets let it go to a good home. Everything is new.

If you are not familiar with the Raptor, here is the short of it.

Uses a modified .460 S&W case (available from Star Line or Raptor Shooting Systems)

.452 diameter projectiles

UN-Modified .460 S&W dies AND load data (If you already reload .460 S&W, you are ready to load Raptor)

standard .308 bolt, buffer, spring, upper, etc. will do.

More info at http://www.45raptor.com/45RAPTOR/

The barrel is from Satern Machine, 16" stainless

I think the brake came from Guntec

Troy .875 gas block

Yankee Hill "smooth" handgaurd (DPMS, not sure if its high or low)

2 ASC magazines, modified for the cartridge (not by me, bought them from RSS that way)

259 RSS stamped brass in 13 berry's plastic boxes (not all in the pic)

post-4600-0-62957900-1532899399_thumb.jpg

Edited by fatbastard

For BIG HOGS!

According to the data, it will throw a 200 grain Barnes xpb at around 2400 fps at max. I think that's enough for anything big in North America depending on how close you feel like getting of course.

An FYI, my other Satern barrel seems to perform great around max. My .450 Bushmaster makes a big ragged hole group at 100 yards with the Hornady 225 grain ftx in front of 38 grains of Lil' gun at around 2200 fps. It's the second most accurate gun I have and it's an AR, go figure. The bullet is not designed for that velocity but its half the price of published loads like the 200 and 250 grain Hornady bullets so its a fun, "cheap plinker" and I'm sure would get it done for anything I could encounter in the lower 48 and especially Az. The main reason I don't really have a need for this one.

• Like 1

Bumpity bump.

Offers?

I would love to turn this into Hoytman's 300 win mag.

Will separate the handgaurd and some of the brass (my dad has the same rig and uses it) if needed.

Back from the dead!

When I didn't get any offers on this I decided to build it. Then I decided to load a few test rounds. Then it sat in the safe... until Wednesday.

My dad has one as well that he finished a while back and he has had difficulty with handloads feeding and functioning in his so I wasn't expecting too much. We slapped together a desert shooting session on the holiday and I decided to let dig out the Raptor. I had 20 test rounds loaded and they all fed and fired perfectly so even though I don't really have a need for it, I do like handloading straight wall rifle cases and I do like a gun that works and this one is real fun to shoot so I think it will stay a while.

I had loaded 20 test rounds using HDY 200 and 225 FTX in front of H110 and Lil Gun and Barnes 200 XPB (.45 Colt and 460 S&W versions) in front of H110. I think it took me 3 rounds to get on paper, three more to walk it to the center, and then it started doing what the pics show. I didn't have my chrony but I think I have established that it is a viable weapon and that all of these bullet/powder combos are contenders for development into more accurate loads. A brand new, home built autoloader function testing perfectly on it's first firing with a brand new round that I have never loaded before, and it groups! Everything exceeded my expectations.

20200102_070454.jpg

20200101_112717.jpg

Looks like fun! Better to keep it until AR prices rebound, when you can. Congrats on the successful build!