Sign in to follow this  

My dad hasn't been out but a few days all year so we went over near Wilcox for some quail. I'd been to this area earlier in the year and knew we would see plent of birds. After about 5 hours we ended up with 15 birds, 12 scallies and 3 gambles. I felt bad but I shot about 10 of those. I LOVE those scallies and so does one of my dogs. She just rips-it-up when shes on scallies. My shorthair continues to improve which I am VERY happy about. It just clicked all the sudden for him a few trips ago and he continues to do better each and ever time hes out.

We did find a couple of mulie sheds but nothing worth showing. I also saw a herd of animals which I couldn't tell what they were, to far out. My dad said they looked like mulies but they didn't run like deer to me. My dog goes on point and we end up getting a little closer to them, 200 yards+, and I was able to make out the colors of antelope. I had no idea antelope were in that area so when I got home I looked it up sure enough they have tags in the area. news to me.

Had a good time and I hope you enjoy these few pics.

Mike

post-1770-1200937743.jpg

post-1770-1200937764.jpg

Mike,

Sure is a good feeling to see your dog improve every trip. How old is your shorthair? Do you have any close-up pics of those scalies?

Doug~RR

Mike,

Sure is a good feeling to see your dog improve every trip. How old is your shorthair? Do you have any close-up pics of those scalies?

Doug~RR

Sorry, i didn't get any close-ups of the scallies. My shorthair, Dewey, will be 3 in a few months. It sure took him a little while to catch on and last few years haven't been the best for quail so I couldn't get him into many birds. But hes finnaly getting it and thats all that matters.

We should hook-up some time to chase some quail, maybe next year during my Winter brack from school. I have some friends that come down from Utah each year for about 3 days about that time and we usualy have a total of 12 dogs between all of us. It can be quit crazy. Of course we don't hunt them all the same time.

Mike