m1280

az deer and CWD

this one is for amanda or any other qulified users of this site, do you or the G&F suggest having your harvest tested prior to searin it on the grill. we took our animal to dickmans deli in tucson last year and an individual asked if he could take a cord sample from our animal, and of course we obliged. heres the tricky part how does one take a cord sample and then where do you take it if you plan on cuttin your own meat? to some this may be a funny question but i think it warrants some discussion. thanks for the time. -mike-

From what I understand, tissue from the brain or spinal cord is used to test for CWD. If you have your meat butchered, it's suggested not to cut through the backbone and hence spinal cord. If you butcher your own, its easy to avoid cutting through the spine/backbone. I have not heard of any cases of CWD in AZ among the wild deer and elk.

Here is a link to agood story about CWD Chronic Wasting Disease that I posted about 6 weeks ago in a forum here. The article gives summary of where CWD is, and where it started, plus info on precautions to take in the field.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5463499/

No cases in AZ to date.

Red Rabbit is right, there is no confirmed case of CWD in AZ as of yet. Hopefully it will stay that way.

You can get your deer tested by AGFD by dropping off the head any AGFD office during office hours.

I don't think it's crucial to test your deer before eating it, assuming you saw no evidence that it was sick. You don't ever want to eat an animal that seemed to act strangely or looked emaciated.

But since you had a sample taken at the butcher's, you can just wait for the results and see how it comes out.

The MSNBC link is a good one, I remember when AZ4life posted it awhile back.

Here is the article from the AGFD website requesting heads:

Help protect deer and elk: provide heads for CWD testing

You can play an important role in maintaining the health of Arizona?s deer and elk: bring the head of your recently harvested deer or elk to any Arizona Game and Fish Department office between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.

The department needs 1,800 heads to be tested for the possible presence of chronic wasting disease (CWD), which is a fatal neurological disease that affects deer and elk. CWD has not made its way into Arizona, but it is found in three neighboring states: Utah, Colorado and New Mexico.

Arizona Game and Fish Department authorities are concerned that CWD might be introduced in Arizona and has taken steps to minimize the possibility. Early detection is important for launching efforts to prevent the spread of CWD.

The department has been conducting surveillance of deer and elk for the possible presence of CWD since 1998, mostly by enlisting the keen eyes of hunters. That process is ongoing. Please call Game and Fish at (800) 352-0700 if you see deer or elk looking sickly, low in weight, with a stumbling gait, drooping ears, rough hair, visible salvation, excessive drinking and loss of fear of humans.

In addition to surveillance, the Game and Fish Commission has restricted the importation and movement of all live members of the elk and deer family into and within Arizona.

According to the World Health Organization and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, there is no evidence that CWD affects humans. However, it is always fatal for deer and elk once they contract the disease.

The department recommends hunters take the following steps:

- Do not harvest any animal that appears to be sick, is very thin or behaves oddly (but please report such animals).

- If you hunt in another state, don?t bring back the brain, intact skull or spinal column. It?s OK to bring back hides and skull plates that have been cleaned of all tissue and washed in bleach.

- If you intend to hunt out of state, contact the wildlife agency in the area you intend to hunt. Several states have regulations on carcass movement.

- Taxidermied heads, sawed-off antlers and ivory teeth are OK to bring home.

For more information, visit azgfd.com/cwd.

thanks all, for the responses. good luck , and stay safe

Gut and cool ASAP, and skin WITH NO HAIR CONTACT ON MEAT (the most critical thing)!!! Cut it up into great chops and steaks, without hesitation. Throw them on the grill after aging for a week or so, marinating in Worcestershire sauce for 4+ hours on both sides. I don't like seared, but slowly, gently cooked on each side turning frequently. Should take 15-20 mins for medium rare over cooling charcoal briquettes. Bleeding a little, GREAT VENISON! Add baked potatoes with real butter, a great salad w/ranch dressing, and holy cow, you are enjoying your deer.........twice!

But before the venison and great salad and baked potato....................invite the single (or married) neighbor ladies over, and pour Wild Turkey 101 on the rocks very freely before putting the steaks on the grill. Don't ingest too much bird yourself..................but make sure they do. Take 'em inside and brag a little and show them your deer mounts..............and your brand spankin' new Ford diesel pickup. Be prepared to defend yourself if and when their old man shows up tho. Could be hazardous to your huntin' future.

FYI, I'm in BIIIIIIIG trouble in my neighborhood, and have been for quite awhile. I know this will come as BIIIIIIIIG surprise to you all, LOL.

PS - CWD has been present in northern Colorado since the early 60's. Nothin' new here. Still plenty of deer and big bucks here, plus healthy folks. The recent press coverage is just a lack of subject matter and trying to stir up a bunch of sheet in the huntin' community, from Wisconsin to Arizona. Don't dwell on it, there is really nothing that any of us can do. I believe that the average trip to the grocery store is much more hazardous than wild venison. Grill some great venison, and enjoy it. Take care and good eating.

Sad thing is that the ladies in my neighborhood you don't want them to be sober MUCH less drinking!

:D