Sign in to follow this  
Tracker12

Outdoorsman Setup

I just picked up a pair of Swarovski 10 X 42's and want to set it up for glassing off a tripod.  Leaning towards the Outdoorsman adaptor but unsure what head to use.  

I live in Maryland but head out west a couple times a year.  I have a 3rd season Mule deer hunt in CO Unit 66 coming up and figure I will be doing more than usual glassing.  

• Like 1

Please give us a call, 516-217-1000, and speak with Joel. He is our resident Tripod & Tripod Head guru

• Like 1

For what you describe, I'd go with an Outdoorsmans pistol grip WITH a panning attachment.  The pistol grip is strong and maneuverable but the panning attachment adds hands-free panning because once you set the panning tension right you can move your field of view laterally (panning) with just a tap of the bridge of your nose without ever taking your eyes out of the binos.  (Set the tension light enough that you can pan with pressure but with enough tension that it stops moving when you stop touching it.)

IF a big spotting scope was going to be a significant part of your plan, you might want the Outdoorsmans pan head or the Jim White pan head (also now an Outdoorsmans product).

Let us know what you end up with.  You'll have a blast!  Post pics of your hunt too.  We'd love to see them.

I will also be carrying a Swaro ATM 65.  Want to be able to spot off the tripod as well as a window mount

i have a decent tripod and manfrtto 700 head.  To get started I bought the Outdoorsman adaptor and stud.  At the least I can configure this to my current tripod.  

The panhead is hard to beat. Your setup you currently have would work just fine. I have used all three heads and much prefer the panhead especially for spotters or shooting off of. 

RCM, who machines outdoorsmans heads, has a prototype head out now that is bigger and will work better for swaro BTX or for shooting off of. It uses ARCA Swiss style connection.

lots of options but your current setup is fine, but if looking to upgrade I would point you towards the panhead.

CJ

Thanks for the advise.  I ordered the outdoorsman bino adaptor and stud for my SLCs today.  I'm going to try it out with the Gitzo tripod and Manfrotto head I currently have.  I might just order a manfrotto window mount to start but I have a couple months before my hunt to decide.