Hey Everybody....

My dad just gave me his old 30-30... I am thinking of going on a hog hunt... Any suggestions on loads????? This thing is sweet... Iron Sites... It just feels good......

Jason

sierra makes a 125 gr flat nose HP just for 30/30's. .307 diameter. used em for years. work great. 3031 powder seems to work well. Lark.

sierra makes a 125 gr flat nose HP just for 30/30's. .307 diameter. used em for years. work great. 3031 powder seems to work well. Lark.

Now I know Larks choice of weapons

is based on info from 70 years ago :huh:

First he knocks the doggie dudu out of the 7MM-08 :angry:

And now he also likes a 30-30 :o

No wonder the G&F won't give you a tag,

They don't want a bunch of wounded critters running around ;)

Mike :P

The leverevolution bullets are really good, buffalo bore is coming out with some new bullets ssoon for the 30-30 that will probably be pretty good too, they just won't help you now. If you are going to reload there are probably endless choices for the 30-30. Before you do buy any ammo and depending on how old the gun is there might be some loads that are not safe for it.

Off topic, but I watched a show on VS the other day. They were on a buffalo hunt with a 30-30. Killed it with one shot! Granted it was a well placed shot. Goes to show, we underestimate the power of some calibers.

I have a model 94 (1962) that I've had for a long time and have been shooting the 150gr Leverevolutions out of it, I can hold about a 4" group at 100 yds with open sights. I think if I was hunting hogs I would go with a 180gr round nose bullet for a little more energy.

I have been wanting to shoot a Coues with mine, I even take it with me on hunts but chicken out and grab the .300 WM. Perhaps this year I will follow through with the old Winchester. They are fun rifles that just feel good to shoot.

The best load I ever found for my leverguns was Speer's 170 grain flat point and IMR 4895 powder. Shot a considerable number of deer in the Adirondacks with it.

Mark

ok, repeat after me, .270's are the best, .30/30's are cool, and 7mm/08's suck. Lark.

7mm 08 rule and .270's drool.

nanny nanny nanny :P