Sign in to follow this  
johngarrett

2007 December coues

Sweet buck man!

Sweet buck! Way to go with the bow! It's a little tricky but you can get the field photos by yourself with out much trouble.

Welcome to the site!

Lance

Congrats on a nice buck. Ive heard the details of the hunt and I think that it is worthy of posting. So, share some details.

The last week in december was my last chance to try for a buck this year. I had passed up a little buck during the rifle hunt and I was starting to regret it. I am not a big trophy hunter in fact I consider my self lucky when I just tag out. I love to have vennison meat in my freezer and I enjoy having it when Im out on my trail rides. I do alot of pack trips with my horses Trigger and Cliff. In our area of the state it was pretty cold and wet. I talked to a freind and he told me the deer were in the rut and said the hunting should be good so I was exited to go. I had practiced with my Bow and I was deadly at 20 yards so I figured I would Just have to get close.

After loading the gear and horses I was on my way. It was a two hour drive before I got to the trail where I began the ride. An hour into the ride I dropped down into this canyon and saw that the water in the bottom was running hard and deep. My horses are pretty bomb proof and strong and I am a decent rider so I wasnt to worried. By about the third crossing my horse was pushing through chest deep water with some ice floating down and on the edges of the bank. I was begining to think I was crazy but I pushed on. Four hours later I arrived at My camp. It was almost dark by now so I hurried and set up camp.It was one of the coldest nights I have had. In the middle of the night I was tucking pocket warmers inside my clothes and sleeping bag just to stay warm. The next morning everything inside and outside my tent was frozen solid. I got dressed in all the clothes I had and decided to go hunting. I figured Id wait till it warmed up a little bit to eat breakfast. As cold as it was there was no way I could sit a trail so I started walking up a trail that had good sign . I hadnt gone 100 yards before I saw a buck. I worked for about an hour trying to get close enough for a shot but the deer kept moving. The deer finally got tired of me and moved on.This kind of situation continued the rest of the day. I saw and tryed to put a stalk on probably eight bucks that day. the deer seemed crazy, sometimes it seemed that the deer were stalking me. Three times I saw a doe run by with a buck right on its heels. i was getting close but not close enough. I needed a shot 20 yards or closer and it just didnt happen.

I went to bed that night feeling like a loser, how could I see that many deer so close and not get a shot. I replayed every encounter in my mind and tryed to come up with a new plan. Part of the problem was that I only practiced 20 yard shots and I didnt feel comfortable shooting farther , I didnt even know if those other pins were lined up right so I decided I would stick to the same plan and just keep trying to get close. I had never seen deer in the rut like this before and hoped for my shot. The next afternoon after blowing another five opportunities I was walking up a small game trail and saw some movement, I froze, a deer was coming down the same trail I was on. It was a buck! I was standing in the middle of the trail so I just Knocked an arrow and waited. A nice Three point buck was coming right to me! We were in heavy brush so by the time the deer came into the open he was about 5 yards away , we were face to face with nothing between us. The deer stopped and was looking right at me trying to figure out what was in the trail. I didnt move, He didnt move. For a long time we stayed that way, I had Knocked an arrow but couldnt draw with him facing me like that. Finally after a long stand off the deer relaxed , flicked an ear and turned his head alittle bit. I took a chance and drew with the deer still standing right there. He didnt turn and burn to my surprize he half spun and tryed to get around me by going around a small tree. He came in the open again at about 15 yards walking still looking in my direction. he stopped again! Trying to figure me out but this time I was ready , I pulled the release and saw the arrow hit . he deer ran a big circle and headed back up the trail we were on. I did not hear the deer pile up but I knew it was a good shot and didnt think he would go far. I waited an hour and went to find my deer. There was no blood trail and there was so many tracks I couldnt figure which way the deer went when he got out of sight. I started searching for the deer in patterns walking back and forth and up. I was starting to get a sick feeling that mabee I wasnt going to find the deer. I kept looking and after about 2 hours I found him in some brush.

That was the most exiting hunt ive ever had. I had never seen the rut like that before. I Packed that deer out and will enjoy venison on the trail this year.