Sign in to follow this  
Viper

Are new broadheads too dull - Good article

This is a good article on why some new broadheads are too dull. I experienced this last Sept on my archery bull hunt. Despite negative opinions from a few folks on this forum regarding the G5 Montec, I used what I had on hand. I spent a lot of time sharpening them, using diamond film of various grits for final honing. No matter the effort, they would barely shave hair off the back of my hand. I made a good top of the heart, pass through shot on a 5x5 bull. There was a scant blood trail for less than 100 yards...then nothing. I did find the bull...nearly 1/2 mile away after 14 hours of searching. By some miracle, most of the meat was still good.        I will not use those broadheads again. I see the Slick Trick Griz Trick 4-blade for sale on Camofire quite often....are they any good?

https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2018/12/31/are-the-latest-broadheads-too-dull/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=insider&utm_campaign=0119 

Interesting, informative, to-the-point article. I always thought if your arrow passed through the animal, the blade was sharp enough to fulfill its purpose. I even thought a dull blade with today's speed bows would do more tearing along the way, increasing surface area for blood loss. I now understand the contrary. 

Thanks for sharing. 

9 hours ago, Viper said:

This is a good article on why some new broadheads are too dull. I experienced this last Sept on my archery bull hunt. Despite negative opinions from a few folks on this forum regarding the G5 Montec, I used what I had on hand. I spent a lot of time sharpening them, using diamond film of various grits for final honing. No matter the effort, they would barely shave hair off the back of my hand. I made a good top of the heart, pass through shot on a 5x5 bull. There was a scant blood trail for less than 100 yards...then nothing. I did find the bull...nearly 1/2 mile away after 14 hours of searching. By some miracle, most of the meat was still good.        I will not use those broadheads again. I see the Slick Trick Griz Trick 4-blade for sale on Camofire quite often....are they any good?

https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2018/12/31/are-the-latest-broadheads-too-dull/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=insider&utm_campaign=0119 

Hard to believe you couldn't get them sharp. I saw a video where a guy was using a flat sharpening stone to sharpen them and it seemed to work pretty good. I also recently switched from muzzy and it was a toss up between the Montec and the slick trick magnum. I went with the slick tricks but considered switching to the montecs for ease of resharpening. After reading some other threads about Montec verses slick tricks I stayed with the slick tricks. It worked great on the buck I just killed. I'll be staying with the ST for now on.