Outdoor Writer

Handyman Helper Needed Immediately

Construction faces statutory barriers to entry. I grew up working the trades for cash. It’s the only job I wanted. But OSHA restricts anyone under 18 from working with any power tools, even a 12v drill. That makes it tough to recruit kids into the industry.

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 8:57 AM, GreyGhost85 said:

good luck in your search. From what I have been seeing the last few years, construction isn't a "young man's" industry anymore. We have been actively trying to hire people for over a year now. I would say the average applicant is 50 years old. about 1 out of 10 people we hire in their 20's turn out to be a good hand. We pay VERY well with awesome benefits and can't give away jobs

Yeah, that's likely true. But I'm not looking to hire a construction worker; just need a helping hand for various projects that will include a dribble's worth of carpentry about as complicated as using a tape measure, nail gun or drill to drive screws. Other jobs consist of moving some items from one location to another, a bit of backyard upkeep, a little painting, etc. 

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 10:14 AM, Flatlander said:

Construction faces statutory barriers to entry. I grew up working the trades for cash. It’s the only job I wanted. But OSHA restricts anyone under 18 from working with any power tools, even a 12v drill. That makes it tough to recruit kids into the industry.

OSHA would go nutso if they visited my workshop. For one, I run both my 10" radial and table saws without the guards in place, and I'm positive they'd likely find other violations. I do wear eye and ear protection (too late), though, when I remember it. 😉