Sign in to follow this  
duckhunter175

Tikka Mag Length //DBM?

Been looking at Tikka rifles again, especially now that better aftermarket stocks are becoming more common. The biggest draw back seems to be magazine length. I've heard 3.2 or 3.3" for long action cartridges.

However- now Grayboe and Mountain Tactical are both offering bottom metal that allows for use of AI mags and I've hard a few more companies are as well. Anyone have details or experience with DBM Tikka's?  What about preference of magazines? Would polymer mags be better for hunting if they don't have that same rattle or noise as a metal one would?

Call me crazy, but as far as a hunting rifle goes, if someone could shoot worth a dang, what would the need be for a magazine that holds extra rounds?

• Like 2

You're crazy!  But hey, you asked for it!  Here in Texas we get quite a few deer tags, not to mention the hogs... makes having extra ammo handy. 

More importantly, it never hurts to have another round available, the animal (and conditions) often get a vote and I want to have a back up. I won't be carrying a single shot either when I go to AK. And for the same reason I don't carry a revolver or BP pistol on duty ;)

But back to the issue at hand-- I've found DBM that allows loading to 3.5" but seems the long heavies in 300wm will push beyond that. Just looking to hear from others who have done it.

I dug up an old load development thread from Lance on a 300wm Tikka I think but I wasn't sure if he was single loading or what. 

Well said 10 Turkeys, one shot one kill with an accurate rifle is all one needs! One of the drawbacks the Tikka has is a long free bore, it's a lawyer thing and it's not the only rifle on the market with beaucoup free bore! I have a friend with a long action Tikka in 260 Rem. After a long conversation with him about the generous free bore in his Tikka rifle, he bought a Tikka long magazine and modified the bolt stop and viola now that he's able to seat bullets closer to the rifleing and he has a very accurate rifle. Now this is a medium length cartridge in a long action so the same may not be possible with a longer cartridge. The trick is modifying the bolt stop.