Sign in to follow this  
Wildcat.HTT

First timer questions

I came across this site while searching the interweb for information on Arizona Coues deer hunting. I plan on making my first trip out there in January for OTC archery hunting, likely a solo trip unless I make a friend or two before then. I'll be spending the rest of the year acquiring all of the gear and deciding on a unit to hunt, but my main area of concern is finding a place to stay. Ideally, I would just sleep in the truck or in a tent, but I'm wondering about safety. Should I avoid tent camping near the border, or is it generally safe? Also if anyone recommends a campground or somewhere to rent a place, any help is much appreciated. 

I tent camp down south every year and don't worry a minute about it.

In regards to the chances of encountering illegals it depends a lot on how far south you're actually going and where you actually plan to be. There are plenty of very good hunting areas that are nowhere near frequent smuggling routes or the routes coyotes take the border jumpers on. Most of the routes work their way up to I-10 where they catch a ride to Tucson and Phoenix so generally speaking if you're not between the border and the interstate there's not much to worry about. If you do plan to hunt near the border it pays to be smart about it and if you can avoid it don't go alone. I live on the north end of 34A and have hunted 33 a little bit so if you're looking this far south feel free to send me a PM.

January was my first year hunting coues in AZ.  I hunted 34A for 7 days and just tent camped by my truck.  No issues, had a great time.  I did carry a sidearm.

• Like 1