Sign in to follow this  
AZDirtyTaco

Sheeps Crossing

Has anyone been back to the crossing taking the Southern route and crossing over the Verde below Horseshoe within the past 30 days or so?  Looking to head back there this weekend and know Horseshoe Lake is still being drained.  Cave Creek Ranger station advised that the dam is releasing at 750cfs which is closer to the higher end of being able to pass the second river crossing in something other than Bigfoot if I recall correctly. Hoping for some early intel before making the trek. 

I haven't been in the last 30 days but know the area well, I wouldn't personally cross above 400cfs. Tagged with interested in others experiences.

11 minutes ago, CouesPursuit said:

I haven't been in the last 30 days but know the area well, I wouldn't personally cross above 400cfs. Tagged with interested in others experiences.

I've been going out that way over 20 years now and I'm pretty sure we used to have a relatively easy go with anything other than stock rigs in the 600 range. I was back there a lot more frequently way back when though and am not as confident with the varied conditions as I used to be.  Got an itch to get out there, but not bad enough to take Bloody Basin or 24...

• Like 1

It was a bit hairy for me last winter @ 450 but that was at 2AM with some runoff at play in the creek across from the ranch and just above the crossing. Thanks for sharing, I'm not as confident as I used to be either considering the size of some of the releases this last year and some wisdom slowly settling in. 

• Like 2