COOSEFAN

For all you Hog hunters..

A buddy of mine asked me to go slay some hogs yesterday, but I had to go to the banquet. I told him he was full of it and that it's all just rumors and there are no hogs out there.........here is his the pic I got showing the results of his little outing without me :angry:

Hogs11.jpg

I got the phone pix last night and after the Easter stuff was done today, he and I headed back out....I had to see this for myself! We raced out there and both headed to different glassing points. The grass was pretty tall and I had just told him to watch for snakes..........then about 10 minutes after being separated I get a phone pix message from my buddy.......here's what he ran into right after leaving me.......

gilamonster-3.jpg

So now I'm watching carefully where I put each step, but I make it to my point and start glassing. I found 3 separate herds of Javi's but no Hogs. Then just before dark my buddy yells on the radio that the Hogs are on the ridge north of me! I get all set up and try to find em' but I see nothing and it's not long before I won't be able to see through the scope. I range the opposite hill and realize I'm looking at over 600 yards and with fading light I really had no hope. The hogs ended up being one more canyon further and well out of my range, but it was exciting as heck to sit behind my rifle knowing that I may finally throw lead at one of these critters! Mark my words....."I will have blood on my hands by the end of next weekend...and a whole lotta bacon in the freezer too!" ;)

BTW.......PLEASE don't ask me where this is at..........and if you think you know, PLEASE keep it to yourself! Not my spot to share, just thought some of you would like to see that there really are some big ol' feral hogs out there! Thanks, JIM>

Oh yeah.....that pic of the hogs looks weird 'cause I tried photoshopping the blood off the hogs. Doesn't the one on the left look like that critter that used to be on a TV sitcom, "ALF" :huh: :P

Jim, Brian called me too on Saturday and i couldn't go--now i am kicking myself in the butt for not getting out there with him. I have been playing too much and the boss said i had to get some stuff done around the casa--Those hogs have long snouts-kind of like the Russian blood lines don't they?

Oh and that is Alf Brian killed!

I was returning from a outing a several months back and what crossed the road in front of me... a heard of em... including little newbies! I didn't go after them but I do know where they are!

BTW.......PLEASE don't ask me where this is at..........

Fair enough. But Jim, on an entirely different subject, how much would Mullins Outfitters charge for a guided hog hunt? ;)

I've got some news for you guys... :D

Ferrel Hogs are now a tag animal in AZ.

I took a chance a while back and bought the rights to the AZ HOG TAG lotto, so send me your 50 bucks and I'll make you out a tag so you can be legal. ;)

PS, Make it 100 for 2 Hog Tags and you can be one of the few one of the proud . Hog Hunters!

LOL

Well as for a clue I supose we could look at the gila monster. If it is a banded gila monster then the hogs are north of the valley, if it is a reticulated gila monster then the hogs are south of the valley. If I had to guess I would say it was a banded gila monster thus those hogs are likely to be in unit @@ or @# in the *&^%$$&% mountains. Thats kinda where I heard they were at anyways. Just been too lazy to go look.

Fair enough. But Jim, on an entirely different subject, how much would Mullins Outfitters charge for a guided hog hunt? ;)

:P I think that would be a very short venture for us.......wouldn't take long before the hogs were all gone. We thought about it and it just wouldn't be worth the time and hassle. I just want one of those ugly things and then I'll go back to chasin' Elk ;)

Jim, Brian called me too on Saturday and i couldn't go--now i am kicking myself in the butt for not getting out there with him. I have been playing too much and the boss said i had to get some stuff done around the casa--Those hogs have long snouts-kind of like the Russian blood lines don't they?

Oh and that is Alf Brian killed!

Hey Terry, I was thinking the same thing about the "Russian" look that they have....makes em' look more like a wild pig rather than a farm pig. Those critters do some serious damage to the area they live in, it looks like a bunch of roto-tillers and tractors went through there!

:P I think that would be a very short venture for us.......wouldn't take long before the hogs were all gone. We thought about it and it just wouldn't be worth the time and hassle. I just want one of those ugly things and then I'll go back to chasin' Elk ;)

If you killed them all, it would be a good thing.

Huntn coues...

Do you remember us trying to hunt hogs up by Jacks Canyon way back in 85?

"Mark my words....."I will have blood on my hands by the end of next weekend...and a whole lotta bacon in the freezer too!"

Well......I ALMOST held true to my word :angry:

I just got home, but I was able to get out today and try to fulfill my promise, but I missed...........5 times :(

My buddy Bryan and I arrived, hiked in to a different glassing spot than last time. It was warm and windy and we glassed for several hours finding only a few deer and moo cows. With about 45 minutes of shooting light left, i finally spotted a HUGE Hog walking down hill. The only way I knew it was a monster was becuase he walked right past 3 of the moo cows and the top of his back was higher than the bottom of the cows belly! He was very dark colored and just looked like one bad dude! I don't know why really, but I got more excited than I do on Coues bucks! Bryan got em' in his bino's and was equally excited at how big this dude was! I grabbed my rifle and started my stalk..........which pretty much was a "run right at em'" type of stalk! The wind was wrong the whole time, but I didn't have enough time to take it wide and get the wind right. He was down in the bottom of a drainage feeding when I relocated him at around 300 yards........and he threw his head up and ran straight away........AT 300 YARDS.....NO JOKE!!! To say these things are wild is an understatement! I dropped, ranged the hill he was heading to and got ready. He appeared and slowed down in the last window I had and I shot way under him. He reappeared higher up, stopped again and I have no clue where that shot went........the next 3 shots were nothing but "hail mary's", but as long as I had that Hog in the scope.......he was getting shot at! If this was any other critter I never would have taken any of the shots I took, but this was an exception, and I loved every second of it! I still can't believe how spooky these things are......definitely makes it ALOT more fun having to hunt them like deer!