Sign in to follow this  
DesertBull

Are the kits a good value?

Are the reloading kits, like the RCBS Rockchucker, a good value or is it better to buy the components seperately?

Are there any tools that come standard in the kits that I will want to replace or upgrade or are they quality

they're a good way to start, but plan on spending about 10x that by the time you're done. reloading is worse than meth. the kits will give you everything you need to start out and you can get a lot of experience before you move up into the real expensive drugs, i mean equipment. rcbs makes good stuff. Lark.

You dont need the expensive stuff.

I have the Rock Chucker Supreme Master kit and love it! I would upgrade the scale to a digital, and other than that you will need some small hand tools that are about 6-12 dollars a piece.

The RCBS kit has what you need to get started in addition to the Dies and shell holders and a powder trickler. The Rockchucker is a great press.

Other items I like are the:

1) Lee Powder Dippers to quickly scoop a close amount of powder onto the scale.

2) Caliper

3) Hornady Lock-n-Load Gauge (formery Stoney Point AOL Gauge) and the Bullet Comparator to determine bullet seating depth.

4) tumbler

5) case trimmer

6) the Chargemaster powder dispenser/scale combo is pretty slick.

7) Nosler and Hornady reloading manuals

For sizing die sets, I like the Forster Ultra die sets because of the micrometer bullet seater.

You might want a powder funnel that has diff tips for diff case mouths.

I prefer the ease of Hornady One Shot spray instead of the lube pad.

If you are going to load for handguns, you might consider a progressive reloader due to the numbers involved.

What a good way to spend that tax incentive money ;)

+1 on the One Shot. I actually still use the lube pad to put the cases on to spray. Another handy tool is the hand primer. For me its much easier and faster. On top of that I can prime in the A/C. My bench is in the garage, and my press is a bit old, well older that i am. I hate priming on that thing.