Sign in to follow this  
Rifle man

Mauser 83 Sniper Rifle

Hello all

I'm new on here but not in other forums, I love hunting  and stuffs, really love going out for hunting deer's especially.

Well

I couldn't find much on the internet, except that it seems the Mauser 83 Sport rifle seems to be an intermediate sample between the Mauser 66 and later Mauser 86. It still has the safety of the Mauser 66, but already the later conventional bolt design of the Mauser 86 and also features the detachable magazine of the Mauser 86. The stock however still is very similar to the Mauser 66, being walnut with adjustable cheek pad. It also has some unique things, such as the fluted barrel and an extremely rugged looking scope mount which features several steps to adjust eye distance properly.

Anyway, can someone shed more light on the history of the Mauser 83 Sport rifles? According to the IE firing proof this rifle was proofed in 84. Full serial has 5 digits with this one having a 01xxx serial (I removed the last three digits digitally) - seems not that many were made? Were these only commercial rifles, or did they also see some governmental usage?

i was going to be a smartass here but apparently these were fine mauser target rifles.  original poster-for the most part we know '95, '96 and the '98 with all its updates and commercial versions.  of course Levers and Ben Brown will prob have some leads if not expertise.

lee