Sign in to follow this  
Redman

NM 17-23 hunt and unit info

Greetings,

Does anybody have any information on the NM 17-23 hunt? I know the units don't have any coues deer (or do they). The units are 54,55,56,57 or 58.

My AZ hunts starts Friday, and if things go well I may be able to seek over to NM.. I would like to use the rest of my vaction doing something productive, I am not looking for anything great, I would like to see a deer or two.

How is the access? ANY info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Redman

Redman,

You will need to pick which of those units you want to hunt. You will not find many if any coues in any of the areas. SO my advice is pick the unit you want to hunt as you will have to designate it on your permit and then call game and fish and see what advice they have about it. ag

Redman,

All of those units are in the very northeastern part of the state. It's about 99% private land and no Coues deer. There are a few areas that have state land access if you want to hunt Mulies, but I don't think I would waste the gas!

Kevin

Forgot to mention that there are a few eastern whitetails in some of the riparian areas up there. I think you would have to get permission from a landowner to get to hunt them though. (never seen any on State land)

Kevin

I am not very familiar with the Kiowa Grasslands, but I have never seen whitetail on there. I haven't been on there much. If you could find some creeks that have a few trees around, I bet you could find some whitetails. The areas that I see them in regularly generally have willows, saltcedar and scattered cottonwoods. I've never seen one out on the prairie. I would bet that they are abundant from Folsom down the Cimarron river towards Colorado, and probably from Raton towards Johnson Mesa along Yankee creek, though I've never spent the time to find out. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Kevin