KBarter

Bi-pod recommendation.

It can be slow, yup. Definitely a learning curve to it as well. It is just another tool. I have practiced, so I feel comfortable deploying it pretty fast. If needed, I just shoot off a bag on top. If deer are moving, it seems like an eternity to set up everything. But, bedded, they work great. 

1 minute ago, muledeerarea33? said:

I bought the claw used on here thinking I’d use it. It’s not real convenient. I know some say you have all the time in the world if it’s a long distance shot but usually my deer would walk behind something before I got set up. It’s a great tool to have but I prefer a jacket, back pack, etc.

As far as I can find no one else makes a bipod like the harris that allows tonshoot off your but as well.  I have the 3 position one.  Perfect length unextended for prone and perfect extended off my butt.   Love those bipods.  I would spend big money for a lighter one thatndid the same thing but as far as I can find none of them do.   Simple, fairly inexpensive and they work.  

30 minutes ago, yotebuster said:

As far as I can find no one else makes a bipod like the harris that allows tonshoot off your but as well.  I have the 3 position one.  Perfect length unextended for prone and perfect extended off my butt.   Love those bipods.  I would spend big money for a lighter one thatndid the same thing but as far as I can find none of them do.   Simple, fairly inexpensive and they work.  

Pretty sure Modular Evolution has long legs to swap in for seated.

3 minutes ago, loboscout said:

Pretty sure Modular Evolution has long legs to swap in for seated.

I’ve seen those,  it just seems kinda pointless to spend over 4 times as much for a bipod that I have to carry an extra set of legs for and mess around to set up.  Harris is out in 1 second and ready to go.  I’ve shot far more critters seated then I have prone.  Especially for youth hunters, a seated shot at 100-200 yards with a good bipod is a great shot.  

• Like 2

My problem with all the newer high end bipods is they are aimed at the tacticool crowd and super long range guys (or atleast guys that think they are super long range guys) and not hunters.  A lions share of my kills have been in situations where the grass was too tall for a prone rest, whether it’s off a bipod or pack or whatever.   I realize the value of a prone shot with a good solid bipod but I also am a hunter first and foremost and a shooter second.  If I have a good 300-500 yard shot that I can make quickly from a seated position I’ll take it any day of the week.  If I can get to a spot and shoot prone I will but just thinking back on the last year and a half I’ve killed 3 eastern white tails, 3 mule deer, one elk one mountain goat, and a muskox and all were shot from situations where a prone shot was not possible.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, yotebuster said:

My problem with all the newer high end bipods is they are aimed at the tacticool crowd and super long range guys (or atleast guys that think they are super long range guys) and not hunters.  A lions share of my kills have been in situations where the grass was too tall for a prone rest, whether it’s off a bipod or pack or whatever.   I realize the value of a prone shot with a good solid bipod but I also am a hunter first and foremost and a shooter second.  If I have a good 300-500 yard shot that I can make quickly from a seated position I’ll take it any day of the week.  If I can get to a spot and shoot prone I will but just thinking back on the last year and a half I’ve killed 3 eastern white tails, 3 mule deer, one elk one mountain goat, and a muskox and all were shot from situations where a prone shot was not possible.  

I get what you are saying. And, I totally agree. Getting a prone shot can be quite rare. I am the same way, I shoot to be a better hunter. I guess I am tacticool where it works, so I run a tripod. The only reason I do the tacticool stuff is cause it works as a hunter.

Tripods are awesome, really only beaten by a bipod with rear bag.

I wouldn't waste weight carrying the long legs for a bipod when I already have my tripod.

On 10/10/2019 at 3:32 PM, loboscout said:

Harris for the money, swivel with notched legs and get a Pod Lock so you can lock the rifle level.

Tripods are great. I shot a blacktail at 575 yards across a canyon from this position. I watched the bullet hit the buck and lay him down. I could have followed up with a shot immediately if necessary. I could shoot this almost as steady as prone. The pic doesn't show it, but I am on the side of a steep mountain. I can shoot with it standing, sitting, and it will lay out prone, but I prefer a bipod at that point. I think the best are to get an ARCA rail section mounted on your rifle and use a heavy duty tripod with a solid ball head. I switched to a heavier rated ball head, but this cheap one worked. The triclawps, pig/hog saddle, etc. are OK, but not as steady, IMO. Controlling recoil is a big part of it, and having it directly linked to the tripod is best. 

tripod shot.jpg

I ordered a Harris but that is a really nice set-up. Did you mount a quick release plate on the rifle or....

Kent