Sign in to follow this  
huntswnm

My 2008 Turkey Season

Figured I would start a thread keeping everyone updated on my progress through the 2008 season. With Paramedic school going on I won't have a lot of time to go, but hey, this might keep someone entertained!

My season started off last night with taking my 7 year old daughter out to a spot I haven't hunted in years. We didn't hear anything cause the wind was horrible, but it was nice to be out there with her looking at tracks and we even saw a few mule deer. As soon as I put the pictures on my computer I will update the post with pics.

This morning I went out to another spot before class. For as bad as the wind was today it was actually pretty nice at daylight this morning. I got into this area a little late and there was already some people in there. I stayed on the main road just listening to the gobbling, not wanting to mess up the other hunters set ups. Most of the birds were on private land so I just left the area to who ever was there first. On my way out I was able to get a gobble from a bird not 150 yards off of the main road! It was tough to get far enough of the road to get away from the truck, but not too close to booger up the bird. I got to a clearing that I thought the turkey would feel comfortable coming into and set up. After about 5 minutes that turkey came in from my left with a thunderous gobble! I thought it would be over in a matter of seconds. But, wouldn't you know it that when that red head came out from the brush he was only sporting about a 3" beard. For being a JAKE he sure had a mature gobble. I struggled in my head to shoot him or not and decided to let him go. If my daughter would have been with me this morning I probably would have let the hammer down. It was neat just to watch him putting around, trying to strut and looking for that hen that had enticed him. So anyway, I won't be able to go out again till Sunday morning.

Jeff

Thanks for the update, sounded like a good time! If the wind will stop it's pretty fun, but they're still thinking it could be windy in NM Sat and Sun. Either way I can't wait to get up there today and see how it is!

I think I would have used one of my tags on that Jake! It was just too dang windy to do much of anything this last week. On Wednesday at 1100 hrs it was still 31 degrees, and the wind was blowing hard enough to bring branches off of the trees. :ph34r: So we headed out to the "Cat Walks" and to Mogollon, but I think that little ghost town even sent the ghosts out of there. :lol:

Well, went out with a friend from work this morning, man was it windy! We got to our spot a little late this morning, and the wind was horrible. We didn't hear a thing at our first few set ups, we were just hoping one of the pine trees wasn't going to blow down on top of us. After a while of searching we finally got a gobbler to answer us, but he was a LONG way away. We cut the distance the best we could, but just couldn't catch his interest. He gobbled a few times over the course of an hour, and we were able to call in a hen from down his direction, but he just wouldn't budge. I am thinking they are mostly henned up down here in our neck of the woods. I bet we give em about a week or so and things should heat up!

Jeff