Sign in to follow this  
thunderbolt

camping

In june, we'll be having the largest group of family camping. Me and my mother have been throwing ideas at each other about cooking for the family. We both heard about the idea of using zip lock bags at breakfast time and giving each person a bag and they get to choose what they want in their bag. Then drop the bags in boiling water. I have never tried this but i like the idea. Do any of you guys have any ideas about cooking for a large group of people ? breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Im really excited about doing this with the family, the last time we did this was about 16 or 17 years ago. Any ideas for a week long stay ? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Make some breakfast burritos at home and wrap them in foil. Throw em in the hot coals from the previous nights fire and you have a hot breakfast. Plus its easy to make at home.

The baggy thing works well. Just get the freezer ones they are stronger. Another fun thing we always do is boil eggs in paper cups. You put water in the cup and drop an egg in it then you set the cup into the hot coals it will not burn the cup but will boil the water and the egg. the kids love it.

If you want a good meal for dinner try doin this.

Take bonless pork loins and just lightly cook them on both sides. not much just enough to turn them from pink to the whitish color pork makes when you start cooking it Maybe even a tad brownish. ( when cooking you can use words like Whitish and Brownish)

Then you take it and put them into a dutch oven with a can of coke and BBQ sause. let them cook through. You will have the best BBQ you have ever eaten.

If i recall right we buy them at cost co. You just need to decide how many ovens you will need and how much meat and BBQ sauce to feed your Army.

Dont forget the Pie Irons for makeing small fruit pies for desert. They are always a big hit.

If you are doing all the cooking be ready for the hardest camp out of your life. I have cookied for large hunting and camping groups alot in the past and they always wipe me out. I am ready to go back to work when i get home from those trips. but it is always satisfying to see people hapy with the meals also.

A few links to sites i have used in the past.

http://www.dutchovendude.com/dutch-oven-recipes.asp

http://papadutch.home.comcast.net/~papadut...ven-recipes.htm

Breakfast burros all da way man!!! ;) Or pancakes... they are easy to make anywhere! ;)

Never have used or seen a dutch oven used. Thanks for the ideas, talking about these is making me hungry though. Thanks for the invite amanda, If it was my immediate family i would most certainly try and make the camp at marshall. Keep the ideas coming.