Sign in to follow this  
NBB39

Coues Deer Activity Unit 33

Hello fellow Coues hunters-

So cool to see so many like minded hunters collaborate on this site. I wanted to start a discussion and get your thoughts and ideas for an upcoming Coues deer hunt I have the last week of November/first week of December. 

Before I start, I'm not asking for any honey holes. Just some thoughts or advice if you have any experience in this unit. 

I have hunted this unit for the past two seasons, in two different areas, so we are familiar with those areas. Fortunately, we have been successful each season. The first season we hunted unit 33 was the first general rifle tag in October. Very hot and warm, but we were able to find a couple small bucks and get one on the ground. 

Last season, we were drawn for the second general rifle hunt in October and were able to harvest another small buck. Saw a couple more bucks this time around than the first year. 

For 2019, we drew the general rifle tag for the last week of November/first week of December as stated above. 

I have done my research and have noticed just how many hunts and tags that have been issued in this unit, especially for the 2 months prior to my hunt. More than 2,500 tags. If you were one of those hunters, I hope you did well and enjoyed a fantastic trip. Please post pictures or experiences below as I enjoy seeing and hearing about others trips. They only make me more excited for my upcoming hunt. 

But my question is, at this latter stage of the game, what do the Coues deer tend to do in this specific unit after so much pressure? Are they apt to run down into the deepest canyon around? Or hoof it up to higher elevations that are hard to get to? Do they become more nocturnal? 

Or do they seem to just stay the course and continue to do what they do, and not show any differences in their behavior? 

I would think they would take off for cover far from the roads and from the eyes of hunters, which is what one would think for any big game species that has been pressured so much. We are ready to hunt them as such and get away from the crowds. We won't be backpacking in, although one day we will, but we will be leaving from a base camp each and every day. 

But from those who have hunted this unit, specifically at this time of year, what have you noticed the deer do? Have they completely changed their behavior? Again, if you have any prior experience during this time of year, that would be great. 

Thank you in advance for any response. Hunters are a unique brotherhood that I'm proud to be a part of. While sharing secret spots is taboo, and not something I'm asking for, I enjoy sharing thoughts, strategies and experiences. I am more than willing to share mine as well. 

Good Hunting

Pretty much the same places you found them in Oct will be good places to start.  Their activity times might be longer if it is a lot cooler, ie; extra hour in morning and out an hour earlier in afternoon.

• Like 2

My son has the 33 tag starting on December 13th, so I am curious what people have to say.

For my own experience, we have had unit 33 white tail tags each year for several straight years. The hunts have ranged from youth hunts in early October through the late youth hunts in late November. We haven't had a December tag in 33 till now, but we have hunted javelina in our deer spots throughout January. Where we have seen them in October and November are the same spots we have seen them in January, and a lot of the same deer. I think they largely just go for cover within their home range, which is pretty small.

33 is loaded with deer. If one hunter pushes a deer, it tends to just get pushed to other hunters. I have watched that play out many times.

• Like 2