Sign in to follow this  
savagman

Turkey Day Part 1

Part one of a holiday mini series. 

It took years for the stars to align and make this happen.  Here is the story....

I patiently stalked turkeys in their natural habitat.  (I won't provide coordinates or hints but well know areas for turkey).  They proved elusive but I finally found a small bird and sealed the deal.  Limit one so I had to relocate and try for a second.  I had a really hard time locating the second bird but it was a dandy.  Dressed out at a little over 16 pounds.  A bit larger than I usually smoke but happy to come home with a suitable turkey.  

Now I wish I could tell you that the hard part was over.  But the anticipation of delicious smoked turkey became somewhat of an obsession.  Research online, the BBQ Bible, old magazines and online forums dominated my evenings.  The right recipe, the right cooking method, the right wood all critical to doing right by these birds.  Asking online "best way to smoke a turkey" is about like, "best caliber for deer".  Fun exercise but left sifting through competing and conflicting information.

I settled on Alton Brown's brine.  https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/honey-brined-smoked-turkey-recipe2-2203632 Hard to beat honey smoked anything.  

I have smoked turkeys in the past using charcoal barrel smokers - more art than science but always came out great.  I do smaller birds and try to not cast shade on the star of the show - the big turkey traditionally prepared by mom or mom in law.  Everyone loves mom's turkey but there is never a scrap of leftover smoked turkey.  

The barrel smoker was retired - Fast forward a few years, ok a decade or two and I am older and wiser and now own a Traeger style pellet grill.  I shopped far and wide and preferred the Cabela's grill.  Decided on a home blend of Apple and Hickory pellets.  

Cleaned up the turkeys, prepared the brine and have them soaking overnight...

Turkeys in Brine.jpg

• Like 1