Sign in to follow this  
roninflag

late bull elk

On 12/4/2019 at 3:07 PM, trphyhntr said:

and this is fun? 

sometimes wicked fun-  in 1975 bob kyhn and i were archery hunting up around control road and sleeping in a pontiac ventura hatchback.  one night the white stuff got heavy and in the early am the hatch came crashing down on our heads.  when we got up in the morning it was like hunting on one of the moons of Saturn-no obvious sun to be seen, 3ft of snow and only a vague idea of where in heck we and the roads were.  and then these big muley bucks started moving through-they were doing some migration right through our vastly reduced hunt area.  we hunted hard for 2 days with those unsighted recurves and missed many nice bucks.

back in those days many of my mentors were older vets and laughed at being snowed in during an  elk or deer hunt.  snowed in only meant a very good reason not to go home, nobody bothering around camp and the hunting was always good.  by far the most important tool they had was an axe and the snow kept the game fresh and the beer cold.  does anybody remember that bunch that would hang around Pertersens in downtown mesa back then?  Coach Petersens' dad and his buddies?  that three horned mule deer buck?

sorry but i had fun just typing that.

dang white shoot-i've seen enough of it,

lee

• Like 1