Sign in to follow this  
DavElk

Colorado Unit 40 Elk Archery Outfitter Inquiry

Hi all,

For past couple years I've been researching using my (now 15) non-resident Colorado points, with Unit 76 leading the way for an Archery hunt.  Driven by recent physical issues (knee) I'm strongly considering changing from a more physical hunt in unit 76 to a somewhat less aggressive physical hunt in unit 40 (along with increased opportunity for encountering mature bulls).  My desire is to utilize an outfitter for unit 40.  This request is simply seeking feedback from anyone who has recently hunted unit 40 archery and would be willing to share their experience; specifically interested in hearing of various outffiters used to help drive that decision.  I will be plenty mobile fall of 2020.

Thanks in advance for your time and input,   

I may be wrong but I hear most outfitters that hunt 40 are booked a few years in advance.  You might double check that before you apply. 

I’ve hunted 80 across the highway from 76 and didn’t find it too bad for a flatlander. Last time I was there, thought I had a twisted ankle. Turned out it was broke. I made it fine in that condition.

I’ve researched 40 a bit to burn my 20 elk points on a muzzy tag.  From what I can find Biggerstaff and Mike Lawson are the only two options.  $7000-9000 each for only 5 day hunts.  I just can’t stomach the thought of dumping that kinda cash on a 5 day hunt while still having to burn 20 points to chase bulls that aren’t as big as they have in 4b.  I will never catch 10, 2 or 201 but there has to be a better option.  I think Sea2er is right too, they are definitely booked out a bit and won’t take a deposit till you have one point over what it took the previous year.  

Thanks for the reply's, appreciate it.  Also have heard Mike Lawson & Biggerstaff are two of the top guide choices and you do have to book some time in advance.  While I understand it's a big challenge, I'm at least going to do some research to see if possible to either find some public land and/or acquire access to some private land for a DIY Muzzleloader hunt the last 2 weeks of September.  Ideally some of the less desirable trophy areas in an effort to enjoy some rut action without infringing on established outfitter or highly pressured areas.  This certainly comes with the risk of ending up where the elk either aren't yet or have been and gone, but that's the fun part of learning about that particular area and it's elk and having several plans in place.  Researching private land access will also be a new learning for me.  Probably an uphill battle (no pun intended) and may not pan out but will give me something fun to research while I strengthen my replaced knee.  

Open to any tips or suggestions if anyone has pursued this road before.  

Thanks in advance,

Get the Col DOW ‘draw out’ report from their website.  You can find units that needed 15 pts and them research from there. I’m sure there are better units with access and decent bulls.  

Really seem to be drawn to Unit 40 for a fall 2021 archery hunt.  As mentioned above I did confirm first openings for the outfitter I was interested in is fall 2022.  (Planning to take my boy on his first elk hunt fall of 2022 for a graduation present & don't want to wait til 2023).  Just starting some research as to how difficult it would be to do a trespass hunt on private and/or gain access to public land that requires a trespass fee to access.  Working on my list of potential areas to explore but early in the process. 

Just to help me gauge how realistic this is; has anyone done such a thing in the past with success? (success being a huntable population of elk during your hunt)  Wasn't sure if those opportunities are plentiful or few & far between.  

Any words of wisdom greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance, 

Mike Lawson is a great, stand up guy, and his ranches are really special places.   I've hunted up there a couple of times.  Happy to give you a reference.  

I've also hunted 76, and I would take a private land 40 hunt, over 76 all day, every day, unless you are looking for that classic alpine, high country Elk hunt.

On 12/16/2019 at 8:28 PM, yotebuster said:

I’ve researched 40 a bit to burn my 20 elk points on a muzzy tag.  From what I can find Biggerstaff and Mike Lawson are the only two options.  $7000-9000 each for only 5 day hunts.  I just can’t stomach the thought of dumping that kinda cash on a 5 day hunt while still having to burn 20 points to chase bulls that aren’t as big as they have in 4b.  I will never catch 10, 2 or 201 but there has to be a better option.  I think Sea2er is right too, they are definitely booked out a bit and won’t take a deposit till you have one point over what it took the previous year.  

7-9K for a dang elk? That’s crazy.