Markleo21377

19a archery success

Howdy all,

This year has been one for the books. I for once was one of those guys that you love to hate come draw time. Drew an archery antelope and early muzzle loader elk tag with 4 and 6 points respectively. This was my first time ever hunting antelope and I spent the summer on many grassy hills under the hot sun studying their behavior and tendencies. From all of that my main takeaway was that they are some strange animals. In some ways I felt like they appear at first like turkeys in behavior. From a vehicle you can approach relatively easy and often even appear oblivious. Yet, step onto their turf and they'll catch yah itching your nose at 200 yards. As the summer progressed I compiled a list of the best bucks, water locations, and access. One thing was sure, with the exceptionally dry summer water appeared to be the key to success.   

I arrived the day before my hunt and positioned myself on a good glassing point. I quickly picked up an old friend with a small group of does. He was definitely the dominant buck in the area and I was pretty sure I knew the water he was hitting, an isolated cattle tank. With the tank being hidden from their sight I quickly set my ground blind and backed out. Day one was spent melting in a popup blind under the sweltering 93 degree heat. At 10 AM they showed up to water and just as they were approaching the tank a large gust of wind made a slapping noise on the side of my blind. They lost their minds and blew out of there. My buddy was glassing from a hill and watched them the rest of the day never returning to drink.

Day 2 I was back in the blind knowing that their need to drink was going to be even greater today. At 1 PM they arrived at the water. The wind was gusting again and they still did not like the blind although I had reinforced the stakes and guy ropes. They hung out at 55 yards for what felt like an eternity. I finally decided to take a shot. The buck hopped on a doe and bred her. As soon as he hopped off I put an arrow through his heart!!!!!! 

11747.thumb.jpeg.27fac98a513815229ac05f6f804882f9.jpegIMG_20190824_150554.thumb.jpg.49cee81996f001345d13311145c24d01.jpg                       

IMG_20190823_070724.jpg

IMG_20190823_053720.jpg

• Like 7
  • Great Buck! 1

Nice goat! Which ranch was that on? I don’t recognize that tank from my hunt and I’ve heard there were some access changed with a couple ranches so just curious...

35 minutes ago, bigorange said:

Nice goat! Which ranch was that on? I don’t recognize that tank from my hunt and I’ve heard there were some access changed with a couple ranches so just curious...

Bigorange, I was actually on state trust land. Definitely a little tricky up there with all of the checker board land. Here's a couple of my suggestions and take aways for any of you reading that may be thinking about this unit:  

1) There is plenty of access up there without paying a trespass fee. That being said know the game warden as well as understand A.R.S. 17-304 and 17-316. There are some land bullies up there and I ran into a couple scouting. I was very courteous and polite but I showed them where I was on ONX and they backed off. 

2) Don't discount the State land. Saw plenty of great animals on it. Lace up your boots and put some miles on them.

3) Go up in the summer in street clothes and visit with some land owners. Most folks up there are very nice.  I had a fair amount of access as a backup plan if things went south on my primary plan.        

Land owner bullies do not like when you pull out Onx maps and show them you fully understand where you are standing. 

• Like 1