Mountains have Springs.

Springs provide water for cultivation.

Aaah, now we're getting somewhere. That does make perfect sense; baffle of 'em with brilliance. Instead of trying to smuggle drugs through the most monitored and patrolled area of the country, just create a farm on top of a mountain in the same area and double the chances of detection. After all since we can't find it on a map, it sure as heck won't be found by the border patrol or narcs. -TONY

Um... I'm sorry if you misunderstood.... the fires are burning Up the mountain.... they were started in some side canyon(s).... probably toward the bottom, I'd guess. ;) I must have the name wrong... I'm guessing it is one of the mountains that TLH mentioned.

TLH,

Buckhorn and I were talking about that this morning... it gets in their blood. My boy has wanted to fight wildland fires since he was 6 years old... now on his second year with this awesome Crew... he could be classified as a Hardcore Fire Junky. The boy loves cutting trees and putting out fires.....he lives,eats and sleeps it and unless he is Hunting or Chasin' those Girl Critters... it is what he thinks about most.

CnS

Mountains have Springs.

Aaah, now we're getting somewhere. That does make perfect sense; baffle of 'em with brilliance. Instead of trying to smuggle drugs through the most monitored and patrolled area of the country, just create a farm on top of a mountain in the same area and double the chances of detection. After all since we can't find it on a map, it sure as heck won't be found by the border patrol or narcs. -TONY

Um... I'm sorry if you misunderstood.... the fires are burning Up the mountain.... they were started in some side canyon(s).... probably toward the bottom, I'd guess. ;) I must have the name wrong... I'm guessing it is one of the mountains that TLH mentioned.

TLH,

Buckhorn and I were talking about that this morning... it gets in their blood. My boy has wanted to fight wildland fires since he was 6 years old... now on his second year with this awesome Crew... he could be classified as a Hardcore Fire Junky. The boy loves cutting trees and putting out fires.....he lives,eats and sleeps it and unless he is Hunting or Chasin' those Girl Critters... it is what he thinks about most.

CnS

Two new fires started in Cochise County yesterday. The one your boy is on is probably by Miller Peak, which is in the Huachuca Mtns right on the border. It is very rough, rugged country and I believe that they were shipped in by heliciopter this morning. Good news is I think that they have a pretty good handle on it.

Mountains have Springs.

TLH,

CnS

Two new fires started in Cochise County yesterday. The one your boy is on is probably by Miller Peak, which is in the Huachuca Mtns right on the border. It is very rough, rugged country and I believe that they were shipped in by heliciopter this morning. Good news is I think that they have a pretty good handle on it.

He will be diggin' that chopper ride vs. pounding the ground in there! :D

Thanks! ;)

CnS

Tony,they start these fires as a distraction thinking that the BP is gonna go to where the fire is at so they can use other roads to transprort the drugs in.

"Buckhorn and I were talking about that this morning... it gets in their blood. My boy has wanted to fight wildland fires since he was 6 years old... now on his second year with this awesome Crew... he could be classified as a Hardcore Fire Junky. The boy loves cutting trees and putting out fires.....he lives,eats and sleeps it and unless he is Hunting or Chasin' those Girl Critters... it is what he thinks about most.

CnS"

Some cases of it can be very long term... I have only had it for 34 years now even though I am too fat and old to get on the line anymore. ;)

Tony,they start these fires as a distraction thinking that the BP is gonna go to where the fire is at so they can use other roads to transprort the drugs in.

There are a couple reasons that our buddies from across the border start fires. For the most part we see illegals starting fires because they are too tired to continue so they start a signal fire so that BP will see it and pick them up. We also see illegals and drug smugglers starting fires to distract BP from them (as wklman stated) so that they can escape pursuit. We also get an occasional abandoned campfire from illegals camps that turns into a wildfire. Sometimes we find lone illegals near death, that are abandoned by others who start a fire so that BP or firefighters can pick up and treat the dying person.

Yeah, I know all that. Go back and read what I said about doing so at the top of a basically inaccessible mountain, which Gino has since cleared up. -TONY

These are the two most recent reports I could find on the two fires in southern AZ. Note that both seem to be located in Hunt Unit 36B, and it sounds as if the Beehive is the one Gino's son has been involved. -TONY

A man-made wildfire in the rough terrain of the Pajarita Wilderness, west of Interstate 19 near Peña Blanca Lake and south of Ruby Road, has grown to 4,000 acres, but it has not yet damaged or threatened any buildings.

As of Sunday afternoon, a Coronado National Forest spokeswoman said there was good progress managing the Alamo Fire — which was burning on both sides of the border — but that it was only 10 percent contained and still had the potential to grow quickly because of extremely low humidity and high winds.

The relative humidity was at 7 percent and winds were gusting to 23 miles per hour in Nogales, site of the nearest National Weather Service reporting station, at midafternoon Sunday.

The wildfire, which was reported on Friday morning, grew significantly Saturday as winds grounded firefighting aircraft and drove flames feeding on bone-dry grass, brush and some oak fuel in the rugged mountainous area, said Coronado National Forest spokeswoman Heidi Schewel.

The area ranges in elevation from 4,000 to more than 5,000 feet.

The fire has had some desirable effects, burning up grass and excess underbrush, Schewel said.

Schewel said the fire was listed as man-made because there were no lightning strikes in the area where the fire was first reported, near Peña Blanca Lake, Friday at about 8:30 a.m.

Wildlands fire officials estimated the fire would be contained by Thursday, but Schewel said the low humidity and highly variable winds made it hard to predict containment with great certainty. She said the terrain is so rugged that even the size of the fire is only an estimate, because there is no single point where the entire wildfire can be seen.

Firefighting crews working the western perimeter had to work considerably west of the fire line because the terrain in Alamo Canyon was too rugged to work, Schewel said.

Nearly 200 wildlands firefighters were battling the Alamo Fire Sunday, including crews from the U.S. Forest Service and Arizona State Forestry, including state prisoners who volunteered to fight the fire.

Tucsonans and other Southern Arizona residents should be on alert because of extreme potential for wildfires throughout the area, said Schewel, speaking from the command center for the Alamo Fire. In some ways, Schewel said, conditions around Tucson are even worse than at the Alamo Fire because it's warmer at lower elevations, such as Tucson, and just as dry.

"People need to be aware in and around Tucson, because it's warmer than it is up here but has much the same vegetation. This is the kind of activity they could see if they aren't careful," Schewel said.

A restriction on fires inside the Catalina District of the Coronado National Forest remains in effect. Schewel said people in the Catalinas must have a permit to have a fire outside a fire ring or a built-in grill.

Schewel said no additional restrictions had been ordered in the Coronado National Forest.

She urged people to use ashtrays and avoid unattended outdoor fires anywhere.

The Beehive Fire was 14 miles northwest of Nogales, Arizona. Fire crews worked the edge of the fire to meet the objectives of containing the wildfire to less than 500 acres. The fire was in a very remote, steep and rugged part of the national forest. Firefighters were shuttled into the fire with helicopters.

The Eastern Arizona Incident Management Team, who has been in the Rio Rico area for the past nine days managing wildfires, will hand full responsibility back to the Coronado National Forest, Nogales Ranger District at 8:00 p.m. tonight.

The past five days the team has managed the Beehive Fire. The previous four days they dealt with an international fire incident (the Alamo Fire) with fellow firefighters from the Republic of Mexico.

According to fire behavior analysts, the potential for extreme wildfire conditions is the worst they have been in southeastern Arizona for this time of year and higher than the average fire danger normally experienced in June. As of today the potential for extreme wildfire behavior is the highest it's been in April in the past 23 years of scientific records.

Use caution while in the wildlands, since extreme fire potential exists. These conditions could easily last for a few more months. Hopefully by mid-July firefighters will finally get some relief from heavy rainfall during monsoon storms.

The Nogales Ranger District will patrol the area for the next several days. If you have further questions regarding these incidents, you can call the district office at 520-281-2296.