bowhuntinmaniac

ABA Bowhunter Happening May 24-26

The Bowhunter Happening is a competitive/non competitive shoot, yer choice.

It is a blast, we just bought 10 new Rineharts fer the shoot, which includes a moose, caribou, more elk, wolf, lion, etc. plus the targets the ABA already owns.

The shoot is Memorial Day weekend at Sunrise Ski resort, so you ride the lift up and shoot the courses going downhill.

There will also be vendors present for those of you that drew a tag and wish to buy that new bow.

if you want more info, go to arizonabowhunters.org.....or just ask me

For registration forms, photos from last year etc:

The Bowhunter Happening is just around the corner. May 24-25-26 at Sunrise Ski Resort near Greer, AZ.

A great event for the entire family including the Big Bear Course for the kids, ride the ski lift to the start of each course and shoot your way back to the lodge, have a refreshment and start over!

This shoot is sponsored by the Arizona Bowhunters Association and is in 30th year!

For more information, photos from last year, registration forms and more, visit the ABA website at www.arizonabowhunters.org or contact me at shouldbhunting@msn.com.

Dick King

State Chairman

post-1900-1210480450_thumb.jpg

Will this shoot be canceled because of the snow? I would think so, but we need all the rain and snow we can get.

The shoot is NOT being cancelled, that is pretty hard to do at this point so...bring your boots! It is supposed to be nicer Saturday and Sunday with Monday being the nicest day, great to drive home in!!

Goes to show you that someone else still is in controll!

Dick King

Chairman ABA

Good to hear the shoot will not be canceled, mostly likely will shoot on Sunday.

How come it is at Sunrise? Why dont they have it on state land? I'm supprised they arent making us buy a permit to go to the shoot.

I don't know of any state land in the north large enough to hold this shoot. USFS requires a permit every year and in the past has asked for a EIS. They have also closed the forest requiring us to cancel the shoot.

Sunrise is a great place fer the shoot especially with the lift...........see ya there!!

My hats off (my sunburned) head, for the guys and gals that put this event on. What a lot of work to have the weather pretty much ruin it. I shot on Sunday and the targets were second to none, but the snow on the ground really dampend a great event.

The snow was not all that bad (it was a beautiful sunny day), but I had a terrible time with the glare and brightness of the snow. Trying to focus on the animals in the shade was very hard, I broke two arrows on shots less than 30 yds, that was enough for me.

Thanks again for all that put it on, the Sunrise Park is the best place I have been for a shoot.

Redman

There is no way to put into a short post what the 2008 BHH was like but I will do a short synopsis. Friday:arrived at Sunrise around 3PM to about 2 feet of snow, high winds and still snowing lightly. Plus the power had been out on the Mountain and surrounding area for 18 hours, the lodge was running on generator backup. The staff at Sunrise Ski Resort had been trying to clear parking and private roads but without power they could not pump diesel fuel for the equipment. One of the employees reportedly siphoned fuel to get the job done. Power came on about 8PM Friday evening! While Sunrise staff was trying to make roads and parking, the ABA Board members and other Sunrise staff members were out with shovels trying to find targets, shooting stakes and whiskers! Amazingly, before dark, all trails had been walked and re-flagged as needed. By dark time everyone felt like we had done what we could do till daylight when we would re-evaluate the situation. Throughout the night the wind howled and as expected, covered a lot of the trails we had opened up Friday evening so we started all over again Saturday shortly after daylight. Pretty soon shooters started showing up, registration began and with some thought, a decision was made to have only a afternoon flight on Saturday for competitors. By noon there were 111 comp shooters registered and the fun began! Other than some sunburn and sore eyes, everything went off from that point without much of a hitch! The scores are posted on the ABA website. Above the 111 comp shooters there were around 50 individuals and families that showed up and shot also! That was remarkable in itself! This took an extreme effort by the staff at Sunrise Ski Resort, the ABA Board Members and volunteers, and we thank each and every one of them! BUT, the real heroes are the shooters that showed up and had a good time. I heard a whole bunch of positive remarks, comments about uniqueness of the event in the snow, the fun the kids had playing in it, and the fact that most of us will probably never see anything like this again! I will add that I heard no complaints in regards to the shoot! That says a lot for the grit for those who didn't let the weather keep them home! As Chairman of the ABA I want to say thank you to every single person involved, the shooters, the Board and the Staff at Sunrise! One last added note! By the time we left and noon Monday, there was hardly any snow left at the level at which we were shooting! It is amazing how fast that much snow melted. The picture that is attached was actually taken on Sunday afternoon and a lot of the snow had already melted!post-1900-1211909613_thumb.jpg

Dick,

Just wanted to say Thanks to you and all that helped again for a great shoot. It was a lot more fun the first day. Day 2 we all kinda had enough of the wind and wet feet and the burned eyes but really still enjoyed all of it. My face just started to peel today!!LOL! :P It's hard to believe it was 110 deg. only a few days before.

Thanks for everything Dallas

Dallas, Thanks!

And I could tell that by the end of the day Sunday the feeling was; enough is enough! When we tried to organize enough shooters for the team shoot (which has been very popular at the first two legs) it was like "no way"! It was evident how hard that shoot was but I can say again" the GRIT of those that shot was very evident"! You guys and gals are incredible!