I would like to get everyones thoughts on how they are setting up there cameras this time of year. And any other words of wisdom on using these on public lands.

I am setting up on trails close to feeding areas. I have the flash turned off so as not to scare any stray hikers or hunters and give away the location of the camera.

Thanks

Dan

Dan, first off trail cameras are awesome!!!! I usually set mine a couple of feet (say 6') off of trail. All my trail cameras are homemade. Year round is fine but, I assume you want to see what's out there "shooter" wise right? So set up before you hunts.

Also all mine are camoed and setup so they are locked to the tree. You would have to completely destroy my cam or cut down the tree in order to get it. I don't worry about flash and hikers finding them. Most of my camera are not near human trail and are far from roads.

Flash's will scare deer and elk but each is different as to whether or not they will return. They have personalities. Hope this helps. You can see some of my pics and my cameras at the following link

http://community.webshots.com/user/coues7

Scott

Traveler

My game cams are usually off, but near a trail and a LONG ways from anywhere people would be hiking. I have seen game show more curiosity from the flash than fear. If you are looking for movement of the game during the day, yes the flash can be off, but remember, the camera will trip anyway with movement at night so if the flash is off, you won't see what tripped it.

Personally I use cameras with auto flash so they only pop when it is dark.

Thinking out loud here, I would say I see more on my cams from night time shots, so if you want to see what is in the area, that might be something to consider.

Secure them cams to trees and hope no one finds them.

Good Luck

Thanks for the feedback so far!

I have a digital game cam that I just started using. I do get more movement at night. 3 reasons I have not turned on the flash.

1: I figure I can't shoot at night so if they are nocturnal it does no good ( Granted the rut will change all of that)

2: Security I do not want someone to find it because of the flash. I set them up where I have had or hope to have treestands set up. I do not want any competition or treestands missing in Dec.

3: Spooking deer that may avoid that trail. I know that is the exception but from what I have read about the eastern WT this is not uncommon for older bucks.

Maybe I am a little too cautious or paranoid

So are you guys setting them up at deer level or higher in trees and aiming them downward?

Thanks

Dan

I like to set mine about 3 feet from the ground preferably in a direction where it won't get direct sunlight. I usually set mine on 1 picture every 5-20 minutes depending if its on a trail,salt, or water. I use the cheap Stealth cams that are 59.99 at walmart and all of mine so far have worked just great. My buddy uses the Moultrie cams. He has had good experiences w/ them.

I would also suggest you turn the flash on. If there is a huge buck coming in at night I'm sure you'd like to know about it. Everything changes during the rut and it's possible he comes in during daylight.

How you make your trail cameras? I spend eight months a year at my cabin in Greer and sure would like to photograph a few of the elk that walk through my yard at night.

Bill Quimby

billrquimby@cs.com

Hey Bill,

Neither Treestandman or myself make our own cameras. We just buy the cheap stealth cams or Moultrie game spy cameras. I also own a Non-typical Deer Cam and a Vision cam. All of them work about the same, and all but the deer cam were under $100. We've bought several of them on ebay. They all have pro's and con's but they all get the job done. Just remember to place them where they won't be easily seen. We both had cameras stolen last spring. We usually take them down during the hunting season because sadly enough it's usually other hunters that steal them. Good luck!