Sign in to follow this  
Noworries

6A

Hello from a new forum member. I drew a December Whitetail tag in 6A. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to offer some good starting points for scouting. (I am not asking for your hot spot, just advice). This is my first late season whitetail tag. Thanks

6A is canyon country. Find the big canyons on the map and then go invest in topo maps. Some of the Northern canyons are: Jacks; Woods; Munds; Beaver Creek. Some of the Southern canyons include: Fossil Creek; West Clear Creek; Boulder Creek. There are no secrets here. These canyons have been hunted hard since the coues late hunt was first offered in the 70's, yet they can still produce because most of this country is very thick, and the big bucks are allergic to daylight - so they don't get kilt. The North facing slopes are extremely thick with chaparell, oak and pine/fir. Most of the South facing slopes are also very thick with chaparell. The Northern most canyons have few open grassy slopes. Being your first Coues hunt I would suggest that you go to the biggest, most open country you can find and glass, glass, glass. You gotta find em before you can kill one. In the State's Southern mountainous units, it is possible to backpack into the mountains to lose people and find bucks. 6A is a bit different in that there are numerous roads atop most of the canyons. If you can find a section of canyon that requires a good long walk to access - go there.

Good luck!

Mike

When I had a tag several years ago, I hunted Casner along Wet Beaver Creek the second day. It was crowded with another hunter glassing from the rim every hundred yards. Must have met every person from Flagstaff there. The guy I hunted with was along the west edge of Fossil Creek the first day and had a similar experience. I went to the west into Deer Basin opening day and saw elk and mulies, no coues and no other hunters. We only hunted the Fossil Cr./ Deer Basin area that opening day and went to a different spot. Casner and Fossil are two areas I'd avoid due to the number of hunters.

I'd second what Rembrant said and try to find a small canyon to glass that requires a little hike from a road.

Good luck scouting-that's half the fun!

Doug/ Red Rabbit