New2Hunt20

Unit 3A late Bull Elk hunt

1 hour ago, 360 0r Better said:

3A is big make sure you get a topo map if flat line isn’t available. Like others said boots 🥾 on the ground is best way to learn. And not familiar with the area make sure you at least take a GPS so you can mark your vehicle before you start roaming around this way if you lose sight your ride you can find it using your GPS . Plus you can mark spots you want to return to later.

Are you familiar with the azgfd maps?  I read you can get them at the Natl Forest District Office in Lakeside & Overgaard but someone told me some roads are excluded where the flat line maps include a more detail topo of the areas.

Flat line said they're working on 3a & should be ready in 6 wks

42 minutes ago, New2Hunt20 said:

Are you familiar with the azgfd maps?  I read you can get them at the Natl Forest District Office in Lakeside & Overgaard but someone told me some roads are excluded where the flat line maps include a more detail topo of the areas.

Flat line said they're working on 3a & should be ready in 6 wks

The maps that azgfd puts out are somewhat generic the forest service maps are pretty good or get one through a map store which usually have the USGA maps that are fairly decent but they’re not quite as good as the flat line maps 

but 6 wks to get one you should be good to go by then 

7 minutes ago, 360 0r Better said:

The maps that azgfd puts out are somewhat generic the forest service maps are pretty good or get one through a map store which usually have the USGA maps that are fairly decent but they’re not quite as good as the flat line maps 

but 6 wks to get one you should be good to go by then 

I'll wait, then.  They have a  map & app pkg for $49.  Is this worth it?

In the interim,  I'm going to scout around this wknd using an atlas (all I got @ the moment).  I'll get a general idea of the area.

I noticed Sprortsmans warehouse have hunting maps for 3A....Hunt Data. You familiar with these?  $30.

Get onx on your phone now, learn to use it. They always have a free 7 day trial for new users. It has a tracking feature where it will show you everywhere you've been.  That with a printed flatline map and the digital version combined with the onx is all you need.  

I know guys will switch between flatline and onx on there phones for various reasons.  The shading of the flatline maps is really good from whatbive seen, helps identify a potential shelf where a lone bull could be bedded in canyons. 

On 3/28/2020 at 1:17 PM, CatfishKev said:

Get onx on your phone now, learn to use it. They always have a free 7 day trial for new users. It has a tracking feature where it will show you everywhere you've been.  That with a printed flatline map and the digital version combined with the onx is all you need.  

I know guys will switch between flatline and onx on there phones for various reasons.  The shading of the flatline maps is really good from whatbive seen, helps identify a potential shelf where a lone bull could be bedded in canyons. 

Has anyone heard of gameplannermaps?  Someone's soliciting me to buy one of his but they're much more expensive than the others I've seen.