Sign in to follow this  
ctafoya

Confused

8 hours ago, Hoss50 said:

I had a new one for me the other day. I was loading for my dad's 260 Rem with Berger 135gr classic hunter. Cbto was about 2.33. Cool no prob. I check one as it comes out 2.21 WTF? Berger must have mixed in a VLD with the Classic Hunter box. It is a completely different bullet from the rest of the box, and I have never used VLD in 6.5 caliber, so I know I didnt mix it. 

I had the same thing happen with a box of 7mm 177 Hammer Hunters.  I turned a 28 Nosler into a 30 Nosler with a .308" 212 Hammer Hunter that was mixed in the box.  Sure seemed to seat a bit harder than the others....

20200322_200939.thumb.jpg.dcbed4047baa6016dd913a1f962d9ec5.jpg

20200322_201014.thumb.jpg.d3a90d4bb7799416604b14d21016c6a2.jpg

20200322_202250.thumb.jpg.8fd92890e5988212eeb2bc1c8ef34610.jpg

So i found some bullets with the largest variations and made some dummy rounds. Loaded them into the mag and cycled them through. No feeding issues. I usually load sierra match kings, berger vld's, and nosler balistic tips and have never had more than a .001 difference on any measurement. 

So, looking at the style of bullet that you are shooting it won't be a long range load.   If you are shooting under 300 yards those bullets will do just fine.   Might even be fine out to 500 yards but the BC of that bullet is like a brick so that is another set of issues.   If the round goes boom then keep shooting them.   

I've shot the ELD-M's and ELD-X's and haven't seen the variations that you are in those bullets.   Hornady isn't quite the quality of berger but they make a great bullet.   I've had great results shooting the ELD's out to 1000 yards with great accuracy.   I've also noticed that the bullets that are used for "longer" range shooting are where you are going to see less variance.   Just normal bullets with flatter bases that aren't meant to be shot at longer distances tend to have more variations between bullets.   

Go shoot those 300 rounds and REPEAT!!!!!!!