Sign in to follow this  
rpowell600

Dillon Carbide Dies?

Anyone running Dillon carbide dies, specifically pistol, after owning others? I have a set of Hornady Custom Grade pistol dies but thinking about going over to Dillon for ease of cleaning without losing adjustments. I cant stand tinkering with dies when not necessary. I got rid of my LNL AP just because of the excessive tinkering needed.

I got a carbide set last week in 45acp and 223.

Ive run lee carbide dies since they came out in .357, 9mm.308 .300 win mag and a few other cals that I really dont use and never had problems.. i dont see how these will be any different.

one thing if you run lead bullets you will still have to clean the lead out just like other dies

Can you explain tinkering a little better

Cleaning I am okay with and tend to do more than everyone else. A well cleaned, lubricated rig shouldnt have any issues in my book. When I clean my dies I have to take them apart by unscrewing them, etc. You know the drill. With the Dillons, you pull that pin out and everything slides out leaving the base in the toolhead without losing your adjustments. Once cleaning is complete, slide everything back in the proper die body, insert the clip and away you go cranking out rounds again. Also, my Hornady die leaves a gnarly ring on the ogive of my 9mm projectiles, plated or lead coated. The tinkering with the press was a whole other matter.

44 minutes ago, rpowell600 said:

Cleaning I am okay with and tend to do more than everyone else. A well cleaned, lubricated rig shouldnt have any issues in my book. When I clean my dies I have to take them apart by unscrewing them, etc. You know the drill. With the Dillons, you pull that pin out and everything slides out leaving the base in the toolhead without losing your adjustments. Once cleaning is complete, slide everything back in the proper die body, insert the clip and away you go cranking out rounds again. Also, my Hornady die leaves a gnarly ring on the ogive of my 9mm projectiles, plated or lead coated. The tinkering with the press was a whole other matter.

gotcha, I understand now on the take apart thing.

on the ogive thing I get that on alond of different calibers both rifle and pistol depending on what bullets , copper or lead doesnt make a different.. this is usually caused by the seater rod and the cup it has that pushes the bullet down.. take a pcs of sandpaper like 400 grit and polish the edge if it, also makre sure withs cleaned out as the shape inside builds up over time.

the other way you can get that is if your bullets are taking alot of pressure to insert into the brass. which could be misalignment, not even bell on the case or the seater die itself is dirty making the bullet tougher to seat, it can also me the dia of the lead bullets if your problem is with lead bullets. lead bullets vari alot from manufacturer to manufacturer

43 minutes ago, Delw said:

gotcha, I understand now on the take apart thing.

on the ogive thing I get that on alond of different calibers both rifle and pistol depending on what bullets , copper or lead doesnt make a different.. this is usually caused by the seater rod and the cup it has that pushes the bullet down.. take a pcs of sandpaper like 400 grit and polish the edge if it, also makre sure withs cleaned out as the shape inside builds up over time.

the other way you can get that is if your bullets are taking alot of pressure to insert into the brass. which could be misalignment, not even bell on the case or the seater die itself is dirty making the bullet tougher to seat, it can also me the dia of the lead bullets if your problem is with lead bullets. lead bullets vari alot from manufacturer to manufacturer

Ill try polishing the seating cone a bit and see if that goes away. Thanks for that info

45 minutes ago, rpowell600 said:

Ill try polishing the seating cone a bit and see if that goes away. Thanks for that info

Chuck it in a drill it will be more even and you will get a better finish. also DONT GO HIGHSPEED but dont go slow either.

wet and dry sand paper with some oil or wd40 will give you a very smooth finish. it woulnt take much pressure or time.

I dont do much pistol reloading as I dont shoot pistols that often. used to in the 80s and 90's.  Anyway I thought I read/saw somewhere a while back that companies were offering different style seater rods for different types of bullets. as theres so many different styles of pistol bullets.

• Like 1