1 hour ago, AZLance said:

Can't just throw salt down... you need to look for travel corridors, then look for a tree that you can hang a stand in or a place to hide a blind. You will need to consider wind and shade as to where you want to sit. Then go put your salt lick 25 yds away from spot you picked out.

Ok. Should I put salt out now or wait a month when they start growing antlers so I can see it on my trail cam?  I just don’t want cows to get all of it. 

In Aug hunts I just go out and spot and stalk for desert hunts. Just a few hours though.  Start at a point were the sun is on your back.  Animals are moving and not afraid of humans right now.  Once the heat starts pouring im out.  Im not a die hard for Aug Sept desert hunts

5 minutes ago, Zeke-BE said:

In Aug hunts I just go out and spot and stalk for desert hunts. Just a few hours though.  Start at a point were the sun is on your back.  Animals are moving and not afraid of humans right now.  Once the heat starts pouring im out.  Im not a die hard for Aug Sept desert hunts

Yeah I want to get a buck in velvet. I’ll try salt licks and a trail cam. But spot and stalk is still an option. 

Imo  a good salt site is gonna be close to bedding areas, either on a north facing slope or something with shade where they can smeek in and out and stay in a somewhat shady area undetected.  You need to understand thermal currents for this. Once the sun comes up and shines on an area the current will flow uphill, once the sun goes down and it starts to cool off the current will go downhill. Plan your blinds accordingly.