I'm planning an archery backpack hunt here in my home state of Nevada this year in a place where we have seen some great bucks from a loooong ways off, but have never been able to actually get in there because we would have to be set up to spend the night (it would take a full day to get there). I'm going to do a couple scouting trips, but as hard a spot this is to get into I want to put up a trail cam or two to maximize my effort. My problem is, I don't know jack about trail cams. Cabelas has about 50 of them, all saying they are better than the next. What is your favorite brand or who do you think puts out the best trailcam? And what about flash vs non flash for pics at night? Thanks in advance guys.

Kevin

Kevin,

Honestly.....the best thing is to build them yourself. There are a number of guys here on the site that have built their own cameras and I think they will all agree....homebrew camera's are the best!

That might be something I am interested in... any links? I have no idea where to start.

Also, any brand recommendations would still be appreciated as my old man wants to buy one for a buddy as a gift. Thanks.

I have had good luck with wildview cams. They are inexpensive and work well. The only down side is their trigger speed. They are probably not the best choice for setting up on a trail.

I personally prefer Cuddeback cameras because of the trigger speed and battery life. I know they can be spendy, but worth the price in my mind. I also use the bear safe, which lag bolts to a tree and padlocks.

I have not had any issues with flash spooking game. I have had bulls bed right in front of my camera with the flash going off every 1-3 minutes.

http://trailcam.drchoate.com/

My thoughts anyway,

I have two Cuddeback Excite's that should arrive in the mail today. After looking over reviews for a few days and finding it for $189.00 I think it's one of the more reliable camera's for the price. Check out trailcampro.com and you can check out all the trail camera's, accessories and reviews of all the brands of camera's

I have been researching cams myself lately. I found this website helpful, chasinggame.com it has several good reviews and tests. It appears that the moultrie I40 is a good all around cam for the price. As for homebrew cams, I have had bad experiences with them. By the time I bought all the parts, I was 160 dollars into it. Then I have no warranty on it. (me and delicate electronic boards, cams don't get along)Some of the different combo's between boards and cams can be very good, others can be slower and less reliable than manufactured cams. Here is another website I found useful, whitetailsupply.com, do your homework and good luck!

I have been researching cams myself lately. I found this website helpful, chasinggame.com it has several good reviews and tests. It appears that the moultrie I40 is a good all around cam for the price. As for homebrew cams, I have had bad experiences with them. By the time I bought all the parts, I was 160 dollars into it. Then I have no warranty on it. (me and delicate electronic boards, cams don't get along)Some of the different combo's between boards and cams can be very good, others can be slower and less reliable than manufactured cams. Here is another website I found useful, whitetailsupply.com, do your homework and good luck!

I have a home made one and a few moultries. They all work, some better than others. The Moultrie I-40 is the best I have. The Moultrie D40 the worst.

The home made one is a pixcontroller. It's ok if you have the time to gather the parts and put it together, but I won't buy another one as long as I can get the I40 for less than $200.