I tried my hand at tanning the furs I got this past season. I lost the first few but most of them turned out okay. Far from a professional job but they are good enough to hang on the wall as a trophy. I think I figured out the tanning process but still have some work to do on the finishing process. They’re not as soft as I’d like but they still make cool souvenirs from my hunts. I definitely developed a respect for people who know how to do this well.     

IMG_20200509_165849288.jpg

IMG_20200530_184130149.jpg

IMG_20200606_134926558.jpg

• Like 3

If you can snag an old dryer and tumble them with sawdust bags.Nice looking hides. I like the gray foxes.

• Like 1

Nice job. The ears on foxes and smaller animals like rabbits squirrels etc. Are real hard to do they get a fungus and seem to rot. Several times I've sent hides off to get tanned and they come back with the ears f##ked up. 

17 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

Nice man! Did you buy chemicals to do it?

Yes I use TASCO/Rittels products. Saftee acid for pickling and EZ100 for tanning. I degrease using dawn dish soap.

13 hours ago, Bill@roofer said:

Nice job. The ears on foxes and smaller animals like rabbits squirrels etc. Are real hard to do they get a fungus and seem to rot. Several times I've sent hides off to get tanned and they come back with the ears f##ked up. 

Yeah I still have a lot of trouble turning the ears. Fox ears seam to be prone to slipping. I found that putting a fan on them after putting the fur on the stretcher drys them faster and helps keep them from slipping. 

• Like 1