Bowhunr

Elk NM unit 16D

hate asking for help on a first post but was directed here by a az bass zoner. I got lucky and drew a Gila tag in unit 16D for early archery.

I usually hunt northern NM in unit 52 and do pretty well, mainly because I know the area. I plan on getting over to 16D before the season but not near as much as I would like too. Right now I am studying TOPO's of the area to pick a few spots to take a look at but would appreciate it if anyone has any good info on that unit you would not mind sharing?

Thanks, Andrew

Thanks KGAINES. I doun't think I will go that option. I enjoy the scouting almost as much as the huntin. I am just looking for a little info on where to start looking. I hate to waste time in areas that will be non productive. Also i hope to get away from the other hunters if I can. Only 60 tags issued so shouldn't be too crowded except in the real popular areas. thanks again.

Anyone else?

Thanks, Andrew

you might find people a little tight with their info on 16 d, by the time you drive over from phoenix (at least 180 - 200 round trip I am guessing) and scout in non productive areas a few times it would have just been cheaper to call Tommy at gilawilderness and have him line you out. He will get you right into some good areas with good animals. Anyway, your dime, spend it how you like!! ag

Thanks fatfootdoc. I am sure people are tight lipped. I do not disagree on contacting that guy to be a more econimical alternative however scouting and research is all part of the hunt as far as I am concerned. I am just trying to get some general area info and not specifics. I used to guide a little up in Colorado so I certainly understand the value of using a service such as mentioned. Thanks for your comment.

Basically you won't waste time scouting any of that unit. And sometimes where all the people are is the best spot to hunt. Other wise for a more spicific spot.... Start at the "top" and go West about three miles. Make a four mile square around that spot and start there. There will be quad acces on the North east and South east. And if you figure out what that means don't tel anyone! :ph34r: ;)

Welcome to the site. Hope to see you around the site more often. Are you a Coues hunter?

Lance

Thanks Lance. There is an area that looks to be in the vicinity where you described on my maps that I have marked to check out. I will be sure to do so now thanks!

I have not actually done any Coues hunting here as of yet. I head to South Dakota every October to hunt whitetail with my Dad in the black hills. I just havent taken the time here as of yet but now finding this site it certainly adds fuel to my desire to get out and do it! This is one of the better sites for hunting that I have come across.

Made a mad dash up to the unit Friday. Left Phoenix at 2:45am and got to Reserve at 8:15 az time. Spent the day and the next morning looking around. It's definately a different unit that what i am used too up in NM unit 52 but I will figure it out. Below is a poor pic of one of 13 bulls I saw.

post-2576-1215364825_thumb.jpg

Saw the Alpine bulls that have been posted on the way home. Those boyz are beautiful! Here is a pic.

post-2576-1215364922_thumb.jpg