Sign in to follow this  
no worries

Antler growth timeline

I’m sure it varies, but what is the general timeline for Coues to finish growing?

We hunt the Southern units and are getting bucks on trail cams. It seems like they were dropping by late April/early May and sprouting nubs in June. Does that sound about right?

Mid August pics are showing some good growth and heavy velvet. G3’s are barely showing on most, or maybe they won’t have them. Do G4’s pop out late or do all tines appear early and grow bigger?

thanks Jim

I would say yes, they'll still be in velvet during youth hunts in early October ..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wildwoody said:

I would say yes, they'll still be in velvet during youth hunts in early October ..

It’s just depends . In 35b the weekend before the youth hunt i glassed 14 bucks all hard horned 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, oz31p said:

It’s just depends . In 35b the weekend before the youth hunt i glassed 14 bucks all hard horned 

Its seems to be 50-50 up here usually rub within a week after.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. 
Our October youth hunts are a mix of partial velvet and hard horn, with an occasional full velvet. 
My real question is about antler growth. When is a buck finished growing? If you have trail cam pics in late August is he still growing? I’m guessing mid September but just wanted to know more. 
thx Jim