MesquiteDweller

Bino help, Vortex vs Meopta

I was originally set on picking up a pair of Vortex Razor 12X50 HD which I can get for $900.  But then I was wondering if it's worth it to spend more and get the Vortex Razor 12X50 UHD which I can get for $1400.  Not quite sure I will have the money to spend the extra $500 right now. 

What thoughts does everyone have between the Razor HD and Razor UHD. Is it worth the $500 now? 

My next question is upon trying to do some research, Vortex doesn't seem to get as much love as I was expecting. It seemed not too many people are impressed with them. There was a lot of talk about getting the Meopta MeoStar B1.1 12x50 HD instead. It seemed like many people felt this was a significant better product. In looking around it appears I can get these for $1300 to $1400. 

What does everyone think of the Vortex vs Meopta debate?  Does the MeoStar compare to the Razor HD or the Razor UHD or better than both? 

If I can't gather the funds needed now will the Razor HD be suffice? Or do I hold out and spend a few hundred dollars more for the MeoStar? Or hold out even longer for the Razor UHD? 

I'd imagine I will use these binoculars for at a minimum the next 4 to 5 years. Maybe about that time things might be a bit different for us financially and may be able to upgrade to the tier 1 options of binoculars. 

Any advice or help will be greatly appreciated. 

I have never looked through the Razor UHD but I have owned the Razor HD and Meostar HD at the same time.  The Meostar HD is quite a bit better than the Razor HD in my opinion and it’s not very close.  

Another question. Warranty. I know I know. Just take care of your stuff. 

But Vortex does tout their No Fault Lifetime Warranty. Whereas I believe Meopta only has a 20 year Limited Lifetime Warranty that only covers manufacturer defect. Is that a correct understanding? 

I do worry as we all have suffered the unexpected slip a time or two while out hunting. 

10 hours ago, MesquiteDweller said:

Another question. Warranty. I know I know. Just take care of your stuff. 

But Vortex does tout their No Fault Lifetime Warranty. Whereas I believe Meopta only has a 20 year Limited Lifetime Warranty that only covers manufacturer defect. Is that a correct understanding? 

I do worry as we all have suffered the unexpected slip a time or two while out hunting. 

Keep them on a chest harness and there is less chance of that happening. I knocked a pair of Steiners off the table in the house years ago and knocked them out of collimation. They just sit on the shelf now. LOL

Meopta is a lifetime warranty, but not a Lifetime no fault.  You physically damage them they are not covered

• Like 1

I am also in the market for sone 12’s and Vortex is near me. 

My hunting buddy has the 12x50 Razor HD’s and I got to use them on a recent caribou hunt and fell in love with them (size, power, weight all a good balance imho).

I was intrigued by the new UHD so went to Vortex to compare side by side. The HD’s are lighter, smaller but the UHD’s are noticeably better. Not a great difference in the center of the lens but clearer edge to edge and the less need to adjust the focus as this was much deeper.

No chance for lowlight comparison. This was a mostly sunny day looking out across a prairie. 

I decided the extra weight of the UHD was worth the bigger field of clarity and less need to touch the optic to focus when glassing big terrain.

The Meopta B1’s are more similar to the Vortex UHD than the HD. 

Hope this helps.