Sign in to follow this  
TAM

New Mexico Antelope ranch assignment?

Just got my NM antelope tag in the mail today. Has anyone spent any time in unit 36 north of Carrizozo near a place called Claunch? Looks like we got assigned to a 16,000 acre ranch called the Carry Well Ranch. Any info on the general area, numbers, and size of the antelope would be appreciated. Thanks!

TAM,

We guide on a couple of ranches in that area and all of them hold some nice bucks--i am sure you will do well on your hunt (i wish i had one of those tags!)

That's good to hear! If you guys are guiding out there then we're probably in a good spot. This is my third tag in four years and I really want to break the 80 inch mark.

Going through the public tags is tough in NM. You've really got to get lucky twice. First to draw the tag and second to get assigned a good ranch.

Thanks for the info!

It should be a good tag with good numbers and the potential for decent size as long as the rains hit that ranch. I just drove through Claunch a few hours ago and it is pretty brown and dry around there, but the rains have just started in that area. I was driving through a good thunderstorm a ways south of there and hit another storm cell around Mountainair.

I guided last year on a ranch near there (next to Cedarvale) that usually has a lot of antelope and a few really good ones, but the rains didn't hit the ranch and there were just a few okay bucks. Most of the antelope had moved off to where the rains fell, so it was pretty disappointing.

Thanks for all the info guys!

Tim,

Sounds like you have the potential for a great hunt. Will the rancher allow you to come over and scout before the hunt?

Doug~RR

Doug, I havn't talked with the rancher yet, but he is required to give us two days prior to the hunt and un-restricted access to the entire ranch. From my experience they won't usually let you in before that, but you never know.