Sign in to follow this  
stanley

Black River

This past weekend I joined a couple of friends on a trip to the Black River for some hiking, fishing, solitude, etc..... It had been MANY years since I had been there, and we had a great time. We didn't see another human soul all weekend long, but we saw plenty of game & fish! I caught the biggest Small Mouth bass of my life (not saying too much, as I don't go after smallies much...)! The pic doesn't quite do it justice, but it right at 3lbs (scale verified...). Fat thing, eating all those crawdads!! I also caught the biggest Brown Trout of my life, but didn't have the camera with me then! He made this small mouth look small (no pun intended, of course...) LOL!

Anyway, it was a great weekend!!!

S.

:)

PS: Amanda, I hope you notice the shirt!!!!! :lol: :lol:

July2008Smallmouth-copy.jpg

Stan,

Nice smallmouth. Guess you found your lucky fishing shirt for catching your 2 "best yets"

What was their lure of choice?

Doug~RR

Yep, a great trip indeed Doug. The 'two best' was not lost on me, and was celebrated heartily around the fire on Saturday night!!! ;)

Lure of choice was Black! Appropriate enough for the location, of course. For smallies, Black grubs (jigs...) with the spinning rod, and black wooley worms & wooley buggers on the fly rod. Caught plenty of them with both forms of tackle. Mainly olive colored hair's ear nymphs for the trout. Except the big boy.... he came on a black rooster tail spinner. Was hoping for a smallmouth when I tried the rooster tail, but lucked into the big brown!

Lucky shirt for sure!

S.

:)

Stan,

We always had better luck for smallies with black Mister Twister Grubs 3" as opposed to spinners and Rapalas. Grasshoppers and poppers on a flyrod were fun. I have not been there in several years also.

Doug

Haven't been there in along time good place to catch fish nice pic.How fast was the water running?Last time I was there I used panther martin lures and caught a lot of fish.What side were you on?